- 1,783,779 readers since June 2008
- Cristero on Edward Feser Thinks God Flashed Fire Upon Elijah’s Sacrifice
- AnA on In praise of Chateauneuf (Voltaire’s godfather and tutor)
- Mikels Skele on Bayes Rule, Julia Galef, and TAM 2014
- Staffan on God and Evolution?
- Mikels Skele on God and Evolution?
- colinhutton on God and Evolution?
- Mikels Skele on God and Evolution?
- Longtooth on God and Evolution?
- magnocrat on God and Evolution?
- Linuxgal on God and Evolution?
- Staffan on Un-Fricken-Believable
- Very Gradual Change We Can Believe In | Escape To New York on Charles Darwin and Politics: Very Gradual Change We Can Believe In?
- Lawrence Hammes on Irony in a Good Poem: Christina Rossetti’s “Dirge”
- Mikels Skele on Christopher Hitchens Recites From Memory Wilfred Owen’s Great Anti-War Poem, “Dulce et Decorum est”
- Santi Tafarella on Shark Cracks Glass
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Was Michael Jackson a Paedophile? British Millionaire Terry George, Now 42, Says the 21 Year Old Michael Jackson Regularly Used to Call His Home, When He was 13, and on at Least One Occasion Masturbated while George was on the Phone Line
- Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: Children Experimented upon at Auschwitz
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- "Courtly Love, Or, Woman As Thing": How To Do Lacanian Analysis Like Slavoj Zizek (Or, At Least Understand What He's Getting At When He Does)
- A Prophetic Film from 1940
- In 1935, Were Cary Grant and Randolf Scott Sex Partners? No, But These Images Look Rather Camp
- The Coexist Bumper Sticker v. The Fiction Bumper Sticker
- Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- Deee-Lite - "Groove Is In The Heart" (Official Music Video): youtu.be/gzoEK545j64 via @YouTube 2 weeks ago
- CNN Distraction: Family of ducks tries to cross highway: youtu.be/mGMzGxeO1wQ via @YouTube 2 weeks ago
- The Disaster We’ve Wrought on the World’s Oceans May Be Irrevocable newsweek.com/2014/07/11/dis… 3 weeks ago
- Zoo Animals and Their Discontents nyti.ms/1khxKjY 3 weeks ago
- Private Lives: I Couldn’t Turn My Abortion Into Art nyti.ms/1kghcJg 3 weeks ago
Tag Archives: Great Depression 2.0
I’m not sure what to make of this, but it appears that at least some “people-in-the-know” on Wall Street are getting spooked—survivalist-style spooked. I suppose that, without credit moving through the system, that supply lines of goods and services could … Continue reading
The highly respected (and right so far) economist, Nouriel Roubini (“Dr. Doom”), is now advocating the nationalization of the banks, stabilizing them, and then reselling them back into the private sector. Read his argument for doing this (in a piece … Continue reading
From Nouriel Roubini to Nassim Taleb, The Daily Beast lists the top seven super smart (and right so far) economic doomsayers here. A scary list. Very scary.
In a recent essay, former NY Times foreign correspondant, Chris Hedges, asks what kind of America will evolve, should our current economic contraction prove to be the harbinger of America’s general decline as a world power. Will we see reactionary “Father … Continue reading
The (Economic) Sermons on the Mount: In Davos, Switzerland, George Soros, Niall Ferguson, and Nouriel Roubini Pronounce Global Doom and Gloom
Daniel Gross, of Slate.com, spent three days at the Davos, Switzerland “World Economic Forum,” and among the high powered economists, CEOs, and academics in attendance he could find no optimists about the world economy. Not one. Nada. Zilch. And apparently many … Continue reading
Don’t bail—but let banks fail? We’re “singing a different tune” now that it is America that is in a financial crisis. Today’s NY Times: [C]leaning up the banks’ bad assets, without extracting a heavy price for the bank managers, shareholders … Continue reading
William Greider, of the Nation, paints today the bleakest economic picture that I’ve seen, suggesting that Obama’s stimulus package of 800 billion dollars is too small by at least HALF. He also suggests that Obama will need to nationalize the … Continue reading
Patterson lists the things that he took from this high powered intellectual conference. His whole bullet list is sobering. Below are two of them. Money quote: That there is no soft landing. We are not in a recession. We are … Continue reading
$600 Billion Dollars?: Nobel Economist Paul Krugman Recommends That Obama Propose an Immediate Stimulus/Deficit Spending Package of Over a Half Trillion Dollars. He Says That to Avert a Full-On Depression You Cannot Be Timid
With Best Buy reporting a “seismic” decline in business, and the Fed unable to cut interest rates any lower than they already have, Nobel Prize economist Paul Krugman (of the NY Times) recommends to Obama that he propose immediately, on entering … Continue reading
Great Depression 2.0: Is Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson a 2008 Version of 1929′s Thomas Lamont? (Lamont Was a Banker Who Put Together a Briefly Successful Luqidity Deal Before the Market Fully Collapsed.)
Thomas Lamont was an American banker, a fascist sympathizer, and someone who made use of a private yacht as part of his daily commute to Wall Street. In Ocober of 1929 he was a central player in putting together a liquidity … Continue reading