According to an Australian news service (news.com.au), Dr. Edgar Mitchell, 77, one of the astronauts on the 1971 Apollo 14 moon mission, and the world record holder for space walking (over nine hours), stunned an Australian radio interviewer, making the claim that ETs exist, and have visited earth.
The interviewer, Nick Margerrison, is quoted as saying:
I thought I’d stumbled on some sort of astronaut humour but he was absolutely serious that aliens are definitely out there and there’s no debating it.
In the interview, Dr. Mitchell made six claims, specifically that:
- Extraterrestrials have visited earth “on several occasions.”
- Dr. Mitchell knows people at NASA who have had contact with the aliens, and that they described them to him as “little people who look strange to us.”
- Aliens have small bodies, large eyes, and big heads.
- Aliens have technology far in advance of ours, and that they’re intent is not hostile—otherwise, he said, “we would be gone by now.”
- The government has been covering up alien Earth visitations for 60 years.
- Of late, alien visitations have been happening “quite a bit.”
And what, exactly, did Dr. Mitchell offer in support of these astonishing claims?
Nothing, or essentially nothing.
If we’re generous, he offered the following very weak supports:
- With regard to his general alien visitation claim, and what they look like, he has no firsthand knowledge. He claims only to know of people inside NASA who have said to him that they have such knowledge. Dr. Mitchell, tellingly, did not provide the names of the people who have supposedly made these claims to him.
- With regard to the aliens not being hostile, Dr. Mitchell offered an inductive inference, saying that otherwise “we would be gone by now.” But obviously, humans still being on Earth is consistent with another, simpler, interpretation: No aliens have ever visited us.
- As for recent alien visitations, Dr. Mitchell offers this piece of evidence:
I’ve been in military and intelligence circles, who know that beneath the surface of what has been public knowledge, yes—we have been visited. Reading the papers recently, it’s been happening quite a bit.
It’s not clear what papers Dr. Mitchell has been reading. Is he talking about classified documents, or public newpapers? If he cannot produce copies of these papers, we are left wondering if he is merely delusional.
According to the article, NASA categorically denies Dr. Mitchell’s claims:
Officials from NASA . . . were quick to play the comments down.
In a statement, a spokesman said: “NASA does not track UFOs. NASA is not involved in any sort of cover up about alien life on this planet or anywhere in the universe.
If you presume, like me, that aliens have not visited Earth, then what are we to make of poor Dr. Mitchell? Are we to offer the harsh conclusion that the man is a liar—or even a lunatic? I’d like to offer two gentler possibilities:
- He may be suffering, in his dotage, some dimentia. In other words, he may be utterly sincere—and a bit deluded—but not crazy.
- He may have a very vivid imagination, and carry a deep longing for alien life to exist. Who can blame a person for wanting life to be more interesting and meaningful than it often appears to be, and for thus believing something extraordinary based on little evidence? Don’t religious fundamentalists do this all the time? Maybe Dr. Mitchell just has a deep need for something akin to a religious meaning to existence—a feeling that we are not alone. In other words, maybe Dr. Mitchell is simply human.
In any event, here’s a link to the original article, which is dated July 24, 2008: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24070088-13762,00.html