- 2,823,878 readers since June 2008
- Grace on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- W.C. Billingsworth III on Blogging UFOs: What Do You Make of Professor Robert Jacobs’s Bizarre UFO Testimony?
- Ruby Walker on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Answer the questions | Philosophy homework help – Know Essays on Feminism for Beginners
- Eric Ciaremelo on Trump’s New Cancel Culture: Cancelling Black Voters
- Bernie was right! - deepredpond on “We Rule You, We Fool You”: Classic 1911 Poster Depicting Capitalism Titled “Pyramid of Capitalist System”
- Answer the questions | Philosophy homework help - Nursing Essays Writings on Feminism for Beginners
- Andrew Clunn on Trump’s New Cancel Culture: Cancelling Black Voters
- Anonymous on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Answer the questions | Philosophy homework help - Georgia Papers on Feminism for Beginners
- L. on Albert Camus: The Absurd, Rebellion, Freedom, Passion, and Solidarity
- Philosophy homework help - Graduate Papers on Feminism for Beginners
- Answer the questions | Philosophy homework help - thenursinggurus on Feminism for Beginners
- Chittwood2 on Trump’s New Cancel Culture: Cancelling Black Voters
- Laurie on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- Clit Rubbing Bonobos: A Clue to the Evolutionary Origin of Human Homosexuality?
- Blogging UFOs: What Do You Make of Professor Robert Jacobs's Bizarre UFO Testimony?
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: A German Jewish Girl Who Was Part of the Kindertransport (1939)
- James Jeans and John Updike: A Scientist's Postulation and a Literary Figure's Reply
- "We Rule You, We Fool You": Classic 1911 Poster Depicting Capitalism Titled "Pyramid of Capitalist System"
- Liberated Woman Come Home?: A Female Version of the Prodigal Son
- "Courtly Love, Or, Woman As Thing": How To Do Lacanian Analysis Like Slavoj Zizek (Or, At Least Understand What He's Getting At When He Does)
- @abrahampiper Yahweh as a frustrated deity, much to be pitied! Abraham Piper's insight here, if thought about as a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- RT @tbonier: More than 80M votes cast and we're not done yet. Thoughts: - It's too late for an "October surprise" to have a significant imp… 7 months ago
- RT @RachelBitecofer: 1. Want to thank @DanielNewman for using his HUGE platform for this work. I want to clarify what this is. In the voter… 9 months ago
- RT @RachelBitecofer: Tell me again about how old and feeble Joe Biden is??? twitter.com/ProjectLincoln… 10 months ago
- RT @RachelBitecofer: Remember when you had a chance to choose country over party and you chose party @SenatorCollins? Well, @ProjectLincol… 10 months ago
Monthly Archives: September 2008
Sarah Can Do That for Ya!: A Clip That Foreshadows What a Sarah Palin Vice Presidency—or Presidency—Would Be Like
When John McCain asked Sarah Palin to be his running mate, she might have had the good sense to say, “No John, I’m flattered by the offer—but I simply have no qualifying experience for such a position. Frankly, it would … Continue reading
Lines of Poetry Dedicated to John McCain: The Beginning of William Wordsworth’s “Intimations of Immortality”
In the first 2008 presidential debate between Barack Obama and John McCain, McCain started the debate by announcing, without the least trace of Republican irony, and with deep regret and soberness (as if he were about to well up with tears), … Continue reading
Pay no attention to that woman behind the teleprompter curtain! You’re lucky she talks to you at all! Come back tommorrow!
John McCain is on This Week with George S. Barack Obama is on Face the Nation. Sarah Palin is on, eh, her tanning bed.
In a USA-Gallup poll conducted after Friday’s debate between Barack Obama and John McCain, most Americans who watched the debate, and were then surveyed about it, said Obama won the debate. Money quote: A new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll shows 46% … Continue reading
Mark your calendar for November 4, and let’s make different history: And here’s how it can be different, and what Martin Luther King might say to us:
John McCain’s Al Gore Huffing and Puffing Moment? Did John McCain’s Visible Contempt for Barack Obama in Debate #1 Function Like Al Gore’s Huffing and Puffing Moments in His 2000 Debate with George Bush?
Not making eye contact (McCain) and huffing and puffing (Gore)? Back in 2000, people noticed that Al Gore had a lot of impatience and contempt for George Bush’s answers during their first presidential debate. Gore displayed this contempt by huffing and … Continue reading
Who’s Presidential Now?: In the First 2008 Presidential Debate, McCain Suggests that Obama’s Imprudent to Say Publicly That He Would Go After Terrorists Over the Pakistani Border, and Obama Zings McCain for His Lack of Seriousness
Barack Obama appeared very presidential throughout the first debate, and I thought that this was an especially effective moment for him: And here’s McCain singing “Bomb Bomb Iran”:
2008 Presidential Debate 1.0: See John McCain Sing “Bomb Bomb Iran”—and Barack Obama Call McCain on It
Below was a rather memorable moment in the first presidential debate between John McCain and Barack Obama. McCain suggested that Obama was imprudent to say aloud that the United States must make incursions into Pakistan to get terrorists, even if … Continue reading
For the 2008 election season, I hereby propose that a new informal fallacy be added to all college textbooks devoted to philosophy, composition, rhetoric, propaganda studies, and law: “The Sarah Palin logical fallacy,” or simply “The Palin fallacy.” It can … Continue reading
Another Change v. Experience Presidential Election: A Clip from the Debate, in 1960, Between John Kennedy and Richard Nixon That Seems to Mirror Issues Swirling Around Obama and McCain
Some curious parallels between then and now. Like Obama, Kennedy is youthful, articulate, and telegenic, but also dogged by questions about his experience. And like Nixon being hounded with the question—“What good idea have you ever given President Eisenhower?”—so McCain … Continue reading
Over at US News and World Report today, James Pethokoukis, one of the magazine’s Money & Business section editors, gets a nasty email from a lifetime Republican and Wall Street money manager: Economic conservatives may be horrified at the thought of a trillion-dollar … Continue reading
Great Depression 2.0: Is Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson a 2008 Version of 1929’s Thomas Lamont? (Lamont Was a Banker Who Put Together a Briefly Successful Luqidity Deal Before the Market Fully Collapsed.)
Thomas Lamont was an American banker, a fascist sympathizer, and someone who made use of a private yacht as part of his daily commute to Wall Street. In Ocober of 1929 he was a central player in putting together a liquidity … Continue reading
Is John McCain Old Man Potter—and Barack Obama Jimmy Stewart? The 1929 Bank Run Scene from “It’s a Wonderful Life”
Economics 101: Paul Krugman Explains How 2008 is Like 1929—and Why We Don’t Have to Repeat Depression-Era History
Back in March of 2008, six months before the current financial crisis, Paul Krugman, in an ominously titled opinion piece for the NY Times (“Partying Like It’s 1929”), explained, in the clearest fashion that I’ve seen anywhere, what a credit … Continue reading
Still More Context on Sarah Palin’s Exorcist, Thomas Muthee: Witchcraft Fear is Widespread in Kenya and the Catholic Church Has Long Struggled Against It
In December of 2007, Digital Journal had a brief item about rampant witchcraft superstition in Kenya, and the Catholic Church’s struggle against it. Money quote: In Nairobi, Kenya one of the biggest challenges for the Roman Catholic Church according to the Catholic … Continue reading
More Context for Sarah Palin’s Exorcist, Thomas Muthee: In May of 2008, FOX News Reported on Witch Hunting in Kenya
I’m surprised that Fox News hasn’t taken this down from its website, but here is its report (posted in May of 2008) on a witch hunting incident in Kenya: A group of up to 300 young men have burned to death 11 … Continue reading
Antisemitism and Thomas Muthee: Sarah Palin’s Exorcist, Thomas Muthee, Not Only Sees Witches in Medieval Terms, He Also Sees Jews in Medieval Terms
Andrew Sullivan directs our attention to the 1 minute 20 second point of the video below. It is there that Thomas Muthee talks about the need for Christians to enter the world of banking and big business in greater numbers, supplanting unbelievers and “Israelis” … Continue reading