Barack Obama has released his long form birth certificate showing that he was born in Honolulu, and yet many Republicans still don’t believe that President Obama was born there.
Curiously, those very same Republicans, in the absence of any good evidence at all, tend to believe that Jesus was born in Bethlehem. But here are the facts:
- Jesus never released his birth certificate.
- The gospels were written 70-100 years after Jesus’s birth.
- We don’t know who the authors of the gospel stories recounting Jesus’s birth actually were (we have only guesses based on tradition and scholarly inference).
- The gospel authors wrote in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic (the language of Jesus). This means that they were not only removed in time from Jesus’s birth, they were removed in language and (probably) geography.
- The gospel authors appear confused about Jesus’s hometown. (Should we call him Jesus of Bethlehem or Jesus of Nazareth? Inquiring minds want to know.)
Why don’t these facts matter concerning belief in Jesus’s location of birth? Below is Barack Obama’s birth certificate.