- 2,400,156 readers since June 2008
- BM on Daniel Dennett: the Vanquisher of “Deepity” Religion—and Poetry?
- Atheist on Who Hath Made Israel to Sin?: William Clifford on Why “it is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence”
- Vincent on The God Conclusion v. The God Delusion: Keith Ward Tries to Tackle Richard Dawkins
- Z. on The God Conclusion v. The God Delusion: Keith Ward Tries to Tackle Richard Dawkins
- Staffan on THE HATE POTATO: Will Trump Hatred Absent Hillary Hatred Prove to Be the Deciding Election Factor in 2018 and 2020?
- Staffan on Why Are Some College Students So Lazy?
- Santi Tafarella on Why Are Some College Students So Lazy?
- Staffan on Why Are Some College Students So Lazy?
- Thank You Jeebus on A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- Anonymous on How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- A le mana on Writing or Art? Mel Bochner’s “LANGUAGE IS NOT TRANSPARENT” (1970)
- Vincent on Four Hundred Fifty Antisemitic Verses In The Gospels And Book of Acts
- James smith on Four Hundred Fifty Antisemitic Verses In The Gospels And Book of Acts
- Vincent on This Hans Holbein Painting of Christ after Crucifixion Sparked Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Imagination
- James Woronow on This Hans Holbein Painting of Christ after Crucifixion Sparked Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Imagination
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- Matthew 27:51-53: The Bible's "Night of the Living Dead" Passage
- Bruno Latour's Question: Are There Things We Shouldn't Deconstruct?
- Are Patriotism and Religion the Last Refuges of Scoundrels?
- Ludwig Wittgenstein for Beginners
- THE HATE POTATO: Will Trump Hatred Absent Hillary Hatred Prove to Be the Deciding Election Factor in 2018 and 2020?
- Why Are Some College Students So Lazy?
- The Poet’s Fictions (A Poem)
- A Guided Meditation With A Little Help From A Wallace Stevens Poem (“The Plain Sense Of Things”)
- On Having No Head: The Headless Squid Bowl, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, And The Cosmos’s Undirected, Mutually Interdependent Arising
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 10 months ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 10 months ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 12 months ago
- #DonaldPGroper Donald P. Groper. Donald Trump is done, right? 1 year ago
- #DonaldPGrabber Donald P. Grabber. Donald Trump is done. 1 year ago
Monthly Archives: February 2012
Andrew Sullivan explains: Netanyahu desperately needs US cover for an attack; and is furious he cannot simply push them around as he was once wont to do. Nonetheless, he has a united Republican front in Romney, Santorum and Gingrich, funded … Continue reading
Demographics. They’re working against white conservatives, and it’s making them ornery. Thanks to demographics, Jonathan Chait at New York magazine explains the fight or stand-down existential dilemma facing Republicans going forward: [T]he psychology of decline does not always operate in … Continue reading
“Blessed are ye who lack degrees, for such is the Party of God.” And they applauded. What manner of man is this? _____ “But woe unto those that are educated, for they art snobs.” Here’s a transcript of Rick Santorum’s exact … Continue reading
This past week, have you been indulging or denying yourself? The warring sides of human existence—the selfishly sensual and the altruistic—are brutally depicted in the below painting by Pieter Bruegal titled, “The Fight Between Carnival and Lent” (1559). At left … Continue reading
Maybe the universe is an ongoing creation, and this is how the Creator is doing it, moving us, through a process of evolution, to some end product we can only half-imagine now. _____ Then again, maybe we live in a … Continue reading
An option for dealing with Iran—the one President Obama would certainly prefer if Israel was led by a liberal politician and the Republicans were not so bat-shit crazy—is containment: let the Iranians develop their nuclear bomb(s) and live, as best … Continue reading
There’s something grimly ironic in a contemporary politician claiming to be a serious Catholic while supporting the torture of prisoners. But this is what Rick Santorum does: he supports the return of Bush-era torture practices. And this, of course, is … Continue reading
One step toward not being a sheep.
It certainly appears that Sheldon Adelson would have more than a little bit of responsibility for America’s war with Iran, should it occur. Here’s an alarming bit of background on Sheldon Adelson in the Financial Times on Sunday: Then there is Sheldon Adelson, … Continue reading
It’s getting weird. Call it the Vast Bat Wing Conspiracy against Rick Santorum, for he believes Satan, not Mitt Romney, is his chief opposition. Seriously. I’d rather our politicians profess belief in things innocuous like Santa rather than Satan. But the … Continue reading
As of this morning, over 26,000 Facebookers are calling for the death of poet and feminist Hamza Kashgari for Twitter blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad. The number has been steadily climbing over the past week. If you find this as distressing as … Continue reading
If you’re an atheist and have concluded that free will doesn’t exist, where does that leave praise and shame? Atheist Jerry Coyne, who does not believe humans have free will, suggests that it leaves praise and shame in the dust: … Continue reading
Shunned Andrew Watch: Mars Hill Cult Excommunicates Member Who Wouldn’t Write Out His Sexual History
The sheer fanatic creepiness of this is worthy of Arthur Miller’s The Crucible. The following appeared yesterday at the Christianity Today website: Over the last month, several blogs have discussed the case of Andrew, a member of Mars Hill Church’s Ballard, … Continue reading
Maureen Walsh (R), 16th District, Walla Walla, Washington:
In the hopes of winning reelection, President Barack Obama will bomb Iran. That’s my prediction for the second half of 2012. I say this for three reasons: Economic sanctions and diplomacy are not slowing Iran’s nuclear weapons program. Netanyahu is … Continue reading
Presidential hopeful Rick Santorum makes quite a show of his submission to Catholic teaching and his absolute adherence to what I would call Pope Benedict’s Semen Principle. The Semen Principle is the following: Semen must go nowhere but in a … Continue reading
John Gray thinks Steven Pinker’s thesis in his new book—in which Pinker argues that the world is progressing toward an ever less violent future—is deluded. In the Jacob-wrestle between Enlightenment rationality and our evolution-formed imperatives, Gray is betting that our … Continue reading
Twitter Blasphemy: 18,000 Facebookers Call for the Death of Feminist Hamza Kashgari for Insulting the Prophet Muhammad
As of this morning, 18,000 is the number of Facebookers calling for the death of Hamza Kashgari for Twitter blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad. The number was 8,000 on Thursday, 13,000 on Friday, and 16,000 on Saturday. Does anyone know … Continue reading
Twitter Blasphemy: 16,000 Facebookers Agree That Hamza Kashgari Should Be Executed for Insulting the Prophet
The number of people who have joined a Facebook page calling for the death of Hamza Kashgari for Twitter blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad has climbed from 8,000 on Thursday to 16,000 this morning (I just checked the page). Yesterday, … Continue reading