- 2,324,187 readers since June 2008
- Judy on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Santi Tafarella on Trump and Authoritarianism
- Cody on Trump and Authoritarianism
- newscluesandafewblues on Trump and Authoritarianism
- newscluesandafewblues on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- edwardpalamar on Adam and Eve and White Racism
- Dave Griffey on Adam and Eve and White Racism
- Daniel Peterson on Trump and Authoritarianism
- Fear death? No hope! - New Beginnings.Church on This Hans Holbein Painting of Christ after Crucifixion Sparked Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Imagination
- andrewclunn on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- Santi Tafarella on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- andrewclunn on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- Anonymous on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Fraps J Stephen on How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- Santi Tafarella on Jim Jones, Critical Thinking, and the Mass Suicide of the Mind
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- The Coexist Bumper Sticker v. The Fiction Bumper Sticker
- "Question with boldness even the existence of a God": Thomas Jefferson on the Use of Reason
- A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- UFOs, Aliens, and Religious Art
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 4 months ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 4 months ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 6 months ago
- #DonaldPGroper Donald P. Groper. Donald Trump is done, right? 7 months ago
- #DonaldPGrabber Donald P. Grabber. Donald Trump is done. 7 months ago
Monthly Archives: August 2012
At his blog, evolutionary biologist Jerry Coyne recently took after his University of Chicago colleague, James Shapiro, complaining about him in the following manner: Virtually all of the non-creationist opposition to the modern theory of evolution, and all of the … Continue reading
A miracle. This is not the American Southwest, but part of Mount Sharp inside Gale Crater on Mars. The (apparently sedimentary) rocks exposed here are more than three billion years old. Curiosity is about six miles from them. Behold the Book of Mars. We’ll … Continue reading
Lyric and Song: Why Simple Reasons, However Incoherent or Decontextualized, are Effective Persuaders
I have a theory about explanation, and why bad explanations so frequently trump good explanations. Good explanations (that is, explanations that are true) often do not accord with what we want to believe is true. Therefore, when evaluating a successful … Continue reading
___________ Why is the above video so compelling? I’d say it has primarily to do with his manner of speaking about evolution: Bill Nye the Science Guy, a man beloved by children and parents alike, is pained, bewildered, and disappointed–and … Continue reading
At the Minnesota State Fair. Pretty impressive.
__________ Even as Mitt Romney (a.k.a. Rmoney) descends on Tampa with the power of green, don’t forget the power of pink. Women, not money, will decide this election. Money doesn’t vote, women do.
He has no skin in the American game. Neither a soldier nor a protester, Mitt Romney was disengaged in the 1960s from the three great issues of his generation–the Vietnam War, black liberation, and women’s liberation. He lived as if the war … Continue reading
The fact that Mitt Romney is running away from Todd Akin in mortal terror exposes a fissure between New England Republicans and Red Meat Republicans. This is at the Daily Beast: [T]he rush to reject [Todd] Akin is infuriating the anti-abortion movement, … Continue reading
I think this ad fairly captures what a Romney-Ryan victory means for gay people and women. __________ The Supreme Court is in the balance. Are you registered to vote?
Mitt Romney and Rosemary’s Baby: Why Rape Is To The Republican Party What Pedophilia Is To The Catholic Church
Why is rape to the Republican Party what pedophilia is to the Catholic Church? Because both the Republican Party and the Catholic Church have set themselves apart as the proud swimmers against the secular mainstream: as upholders of tradition, traditional … Continue reading
This is mind blowing. As a condition of even talking to a female reporter, Shaun Boyd, Mitt Romney insisted today that she must not ask him about abortion or Todd Akin. Here’s the Denver Post: Channel 4′s Shaun Boyd was … Continue reading
Talk about the equivalent of a Catholic Church sex abuse scandal within the Republican Party! Dr. Dean Kilpatrick, author of a key 1996 study on rape in the United States, tells the Los Angeles Times in interview today that “as many as … Continue reading
A little reminder from the Daily Beast of how long Mitt Romney has been dissing women for political gain: Romney said in 2007 he would be “delighted” to sign a bill banning all abortions, and Ryan supported legislation restricting abortions … Continue reading
The exact site has yet to be settled on, but this is in the Telegraph today (quoting the artist commissioned to make the statue): George Orwell is regarded as something of a patron saint of political journalism so his presence … Continue reading
This appeared at New Scientist back in 2006, but it seems pretty important to thinking about what Curiosity is up to now: [A] paper by Rafael Navarro-Gonzalez of the University of Mexico and others demonstrates that the GCMS instrument [organic … Continue reading
Any time one can remind women that Romney-Ryan are reactionaries against feminism and women’s equality, it helps solidify the women’s vote against them. And I think this election will be decided by women. Also, it matters where the women in … Continue reading
This is at Andrew Sullivan’s blog today: Nate Cohn also points out that “undecided voters are disproportionately women, and there’s no question that an overwhelming majority of voters, let alone women, support permitting abortion in instances of rape or incest. … Continue reading
Concerning Paul Ryan on rape and abortion, this comes from Ed Kilgore: [E]ven on occasion when he’s supported “compromise” legislation that recognizes rape/incest exceptions, he’s been in favor of narrowing them, as in last year’s House GOP effort (eventually abandoned) … Continue reading
Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) with Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) __________ The above two men would forbid a victim of rape or incest to terminate her pregnancy. And they co-sponsored a bill in Congress that brought into contemporary discourse the noxious phrase “forcible rape.” Then Mitt … Continue reading