- 2,324,151 readers since June 2008
- Judy on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Santi Tafarella on Trump and Authoritarianism
- Cody on Trump and Authoritarianism
- newscluesandafewblues on Trump and Authoritarianism
- newscluesandafewblues on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- edwardpalamar on Adam and Eve and White Racism
- Dave Griffey on Adam and Eve and White Racism
- Daniel Peterson on Trump and Authoritarianism
- Fear death? No hope! - New Beginnings.Church on This Hans Holbein Painting of Christ after Crucifixion Sparked Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Imagination
- andrewclunn on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- Santi Tafarella on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- andrewclunn on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- Anonymous on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Fraps J Stephen on How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- Santi Tafarella on Jim Jones, Critical Thinking, and the Mass Suicide of the Mind
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- The Coexist Bumper Sticker v. The Fiction Bumper Sticker
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- "Question with boldness even the existence of a God": Thomas Jefferson on the Use of Reason
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 4 months ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 4 months ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 6 months ago
- #DonaldPGroper Donald P. Groper. Donald Trump is done, right? 7 months ago
- #DonaldPGrabber Donald P. Grabber. Donald Trump is done. 7 months ago
Monthly Archives: June 2016
Can my fellow liberals, who too frequently count themselves among the idiotic “No GMO!” constituency, please get off the science-denial bandwagon now, leaving it to the far-right, with its young Earth creationists and global warming denialists? 107 Nobel laureates sign … Continue reading
It’s one thing to have an ideology, another an agenda. An ideology is a habit of mind, often not wholly conscious to its possessor. It functions as subtext for behavior. The ideology of consumption, for example, takes it for granted … Continue reading
This is crazy. Trump is so selfish and narcissistic. He’s in the midst of running for President, and yet he won’t show his tax returns–and now, smack dab in the middle of an election cycle, he appears to be filing … Continue reading
Elizabeth Warren on The View yesterday was awesome. She would make a terrific VP for Hillary. Oddly, when I watch her, she makes me want to live (to live larger and enjoy each day). She seems to love life. She … Continue reading
More Trump Racism: Trump is Afraid to Trade with Asians and Mexicans. Notably, He Says Nothing in His Speech Today about Trading with Russia or Tearing-up Trade Agreements with White Europeans.
Today, Trump has made tearing-up trade agreements with both east and south center pieces of his idiotic economic policy–actions no serious economist appraises as valuable or urges. Such moves as Trump proposes would tank the economy, killing domestic jobs (as … Continue reading
Brexit and Trump. The Brexit vote and the Trump movement suggest to me that the anti-globalization right in the West is ever more evidently on the ropes. The broken wheel squeaks loudest. The right’s Christian fundamentalism card doesn’t seem to … Continue reading
Buddhist mandala meets Jackson Pollock: how one obsessive-compulsive fish gets another fish to notice him, bringing her under his spell. The Japanese puffer fish signals sexually by making art circles. The pattern tells the female: “Lay your eggs in the … Continue reading
In the link below, Tony Blair analyzes, clearly and succinctly, the Brexit fallout. What an indulgent, tragic, and self-inflicted wound the majority in Great Britain has inflicted on its country–and the world. Will this function as an object lesson for … Continue reading
As I see it, there are two very large megatrends that are crossing in the 21st century: the decline of religion (in terms of credibility and the number of serious practitioners it attracts) and the urbanization of humanity. Demographers tell … Continue reading
Who’s to blame for calling this idiotic up or down Brexit vote in the first place? David Cameron. He thought remain would be a slam dunk. Against the advice of professional economists everywhere, he wagered Britain’s long-term economic growth rate … Continue reading
Some Christians claim that Allah represents the Mark of the Beast; that the Greek letters for 666 resemble the way Allah is written in Arabic. I’m no fan of Islam, but demonizing Islam as Satanic and prophesied as the cipher … Continue reading
Follow this recent sequence of events in Pakistan: A Christian was accused of blasphemy; a Muslim governor defended her in the media; he was murdered; the man who murdered him was given the death penalty; 100,000 people came out to … Continue reading
I think of Donald Trump as a hamster on a wheel; a bicyclist on a stationary bike. (Pick your metaphor.) There’s lots of feverish spinning, but he’s actually going nowhere. It’s like the plane image laid on the ground by … Continue reading
Correlation isn’t causation, but something at least appears to be up. Conservative economic theory doesn’t seem to be matching the real world right now. Under liberal Governor Jerry Brown, California’s economy grew 4.1% in 2015, tying Oregon for the highest … Continue reading
Instead of “Thump that bitch!”, we have “Trump that bitch!”–the new, unofficial rallying cry of the Trump right. Trump, as when he disavowed knowledge of David Duke’s support, is pretending he doesn’t even know the phrase is coursing through his … Continue reading
Will Donald Trump let Confederate flags wave among American flags on the Republican party’s convention floor in Cleveland? Imagine the optics of that. _____ Back in July of 2015, Trump signaled his support for sending the Confederate flag to museums, … Continue reading
I watched Trump’s full speech on Orlando just now. Hillary is going to have problems responding. His speech has its demagogic parts, and there are two moments along the way where he teeters into an emotional place where you can … Continue reading
How could this happen? How is one lone wolf able to kill fifty people so quickly? AR-15 rifles are not hunting rifles. They’re military rifles. They put out thirty rounds in less than a minute. They’re easy to get, they’re … Continue reading
Below is the YouTube link to Hillary Clinton’s full speech to Planned Parenthood, larded with pro-women policy proposals and juicy take-downs of Donald Trump. She is running, not just as a woman, but as a feminist; a take-no-prisoners, bad-ass, unapologetic … Continue reading
Pure domination. Disrespectful of a woman. When I read yesterday Donald Trump’s tweet mocking Elizabeth Warren’s Native American heritage–calling her “Pocahontas”–I thought of the following lines of a James Fenton poem: “The laughter from the armored car. / This is the … Continue reading