- 2,324,151 readers since June 2008
- Judy on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Santi Tafarella on Trump and Authoritarianism
- Cody on Trump and Authoritarianism
- newscluesandafewblues on Trump and Authoritarianism
- newscluesandafewblues on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- edwardpalamar on Adam and Eve and White Racism
- Dave Griffey on Adam and Eve and White Racism
- Daniel Peterson on Trump and Authoritarianism
- Fear death? No hope! - New Beginnings.Church on This Hans Holbein Painting of Christ after Crucifixion Sparked Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Imagination
- andrewclunn on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- Santi Tafarella on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- andrewclunn on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- Anonymous on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Fraps J Stephen on How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- Santi Tafarella on Jim Jones, Critical Thinking, and the Mass Suicide of the Mind
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- The Coexist Bumper Sticker v. The Fiction Bumper Sticker
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- "Question with boldness even the existence of a God": Thomas Jefferson on the Use of Reason
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 4 months ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 4 months ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 6 months ago
- #DonaldPGroper Donald P. Groper. Donald Trump is done, right? 7 months ago
- #DonaldPGrabber Donald P. Grabber. Donald Trump is done. 7 months ago
Monthly Archives: July 2016
Sobering reading. The pieces of the puzzle are falling together. Trump is Putin. And that’s if we’re lucky. He might be Hitler. And if he is, the likelihood of stopping him after he takes the oath of office is small. … Continue reading
First, Donald Trump attacked John McCain, a Vietnam POW. Today, Trump attacked the mother of a slain soldier. A slain soldier. A mother. Think about that. And Trump didn’t even serve in the military himself when he was of the … Continue reading
Did Clinton get a fifteen point bounce out of the Democratic Convention? The first poll, post-convention, suggests so: Clinton 46%; Trump 31%. Clinton Takes the Lead in First Post-DNC Poll Somewhere in Pennsylvania, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton smiles a … Continue reading
Let’s do a little imagining together. Imagine a man with an authoritarian, conspiratorial, and mercurial temperament who praises Saddam Hussein, Kim Jong-un, and Vladimir Putin; tweets quotes from Mussolini and images from antisemitic message boards; invites the demagogic and un-American … Continue reading
In 1995, citing it as offensive to “family values,” Walmart banned a t-shirt that shows Margaret from Dennis the Menace saying optimistically, “Someday a woman will be PRESIDENT!” Fast-forward to 2016, and here’s a Walmart spokesperson: “Wow, it still pains … Continue reading
Freud’s id has landed. David Brooks nails it. If Trump still wins after this week, then obviously there’s something going on in the psyche of the majority of Americans that craves vengeance, authoritarianism, harshness, and Nietzschean indifference toward the weak. … Continue reading
Ezra Klein is starting to panic: “I am, for the first time since I began covering American politics, genuinely afraid.” In a recent article, he rehearses numerous reasons Donald Trump’s nomination is now an enormous dilemma for the country as … Continue reading
Right now, lawyers do his bidding, then it will be generals. Trump is Hitler. Yes, that Hitler. Or rather, he is in danger of becoming that Hitler–or of bringing us to that Hitler. Take his use of lawyers. Has Trump ever … Continue reading
Crackpots to the future. Trump picked for VP, not just a man who can’t say whether he thinks the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and that plants and animals have changed over time, or whether global warming is occurring, … Continue reading
I wouldn’t want to make an invidious comparison, but I think of how Hitler came into ever greater power (via democratic election and joining his party into an alliance with conservative parties), and then, when he became chancellor, how he … Continue reading
A Christian Critique of Trump: Norman Vincent Peale Meets Nietzsche, Then Nietzsche Meets Mike Pence
A genuinely troubling piece by Matthew Schmitz appears at the Catholic magazine First Things (August/September 2016) on Donald Trump’s “faith,” which, it turns out, is in the positive thinking philosophy of Norman Vincent Peale, someone Trump interacted with personally when he … Continue reading
Donald Trump may have a Bill Cosby problem brewing. A recent court filing in New York alleges that Trump raped a thirteen year old in the 1990s. Alternet reviews the allegations contained in the filing, and judges them plausible. Money quote: … Continue reading
Trump’s likely VP pick is homophobe Mike Pence. Here he is hemming and hawing on whether it should be legal to discriminate against gays and lesbians in Indiana. Lovely man.
This is how Trump plans to win: evoke nostalgia for when 1950s white American Christians (Protestant and Catholic) roamed and ruled the Earth. It’s his non-retreat strategy. Call it Jurassic Park 5: Return of the McCarthy Era. In place of … Continue reading
I know it’s going to take time to sink in, but today’s news on the FBI not recommending Hillary Clinton’s prosecution is big. Really big. Benghazi and the emails are now off the table. The Fox News crowd took its … Continue reading
Nietzsche famously wrote, “Whatever doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger.” How does this apply to Hillary? Well, the Fox News crowd has tried to destroy Hillary for literally decades, but it has now reached a culminating and catastrophic failure today … Continue reading
71 years ago, the Allies liberated the Nazi death camps, and, aghast in the knowledge of what had transpired in them, there seemed to be a fresh collective resolve globally to “never again” generate the sorts of conditions that might … Continue reading
This is where it gets real. It’s now the FBI’s call, and the investigators will probably make it before the Republican convention starts on July 25th. Sometime over the next two weeks Hillary either reaches orbit on her way to … Continue reading
This is really, really bad behavior. The Washington Post has traced down an image of Trump posing with a $12,000 helmet that he purchased with money explicitly raised for charity: Four years ago, at a charity fundraiser in Palm Beach, … Continue reading