What Will Be Donald Trump’s Reichstag Fire?

This election is hopelessly tainted. Trump won by just 80,000 votes spread across three swing states–and lost the general election tally by a full 2% (three million votes). Hillary got 48%, Trump 46%, and Stein/Johnson basically the remainder–which means 54% of American voters didn’t want Trump–yet here we are with Trump. And Russia’s interference almost certainly achieved far more than that 80,000 vote swing, so we’ve literally been hacked as a democracy, getting the president that Putin wanted, not the American voters. And now we learn that the head of Exxon-Mobile, with deep ties to Russia, is Trump’s most likely pick for Secretary of State.

So what can be done at this point? It’s like a storm. Hunker down and hope the Republic and planet survives in tact the next four to eight years. But I’ve never felt so despondent about the prospects for the Anglo-French Enlightenment, liberal democracy, and ecology. Trump seems to be setting the clock back, not to the 1990s, say, but the 1890s (a period of nationalism that culminated in two world wars). And he’ll have the nuclear codes, let’s never forget that. Any day over the next four years we could wake up and learn Trump has decided to arrest the conspirators in a conspiracy he has “uncovered,” or used a nuclear weapon to “solve” a problem somewhere on the pretense of some crisis. What Reichstag fire awaits us? It’s really a hostage situation.

About Santi Tafarella

I teach writing and literature at Antelope Valley College in California.
This entry was posted in atheism, Bernie Sanders, climate change, donald trump, feminism, hillary clinton, Politics, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to What Will Be Donald Trump’s Reichstag Fire?

  1. Longtooth says:

    This morning a guest expert on CNN suggested that (in paraphrase) an election in just about any other western democracy that was found to have been contaminated by Russian meddling would’ve been held again. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the guest’s name. But a rerun of ours really does sound like a good idea. Anyway, Season’s Greetings to you Santi

  2. Anonymous says:

    TRUMP IS THE MAN. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE REICHSTAG FIRE SO ONE DAY I CAN HAVE MY OWN DEATH CAMP TO RUN AND KILL EVERY FUCKING MUSLIM WE GET OUR RIGHTEOUS HANDS ON.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s