- 2,321,932 readers since June 2008
- Cody on Trump and Authoritarianism
- newscluesandafewblues on Trump and Authoritarianism
- newscluesandafewblues on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- edwardpalamar on Adam and Eve and White Racism
- Dave Griffey on Adam and Eve and White Racism
- Daniel Peterson on Trump and Authoritarianism
- Fear death? No hope! - New Beginnings.Church on This Hans Holbein Painting of Christ after Crucifixion Sparked Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Imagination
- andrewclunn on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- Santi Tafarella on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- andrewclunn on The Enlightenment Under Attack: Free Desiree Fairooz
- Anonymous on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Fraps J Stephen on How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- Santi Tafarella on Jim Jones, Critical Thinking, and the Mass Suicide of the Mind
- GARY BENESH on Shiloh and the Origin of Religion: Neil Diamond Sings to His Imaginary Friend
- Staffan on Jim Jones, Critical Thinking, and the Mass Suicide of the Mind
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- What Did Friedrich Nietzsche Take from Charles Darwin?
- Ludwig Wittgenstein for Beginners
- Nietzsche in a Nutshell
- A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 4 months ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 4 months ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 6 months ago
- #DonaldPGroper Donald P. Groper. Donald Trump is done, right? 7 months ago
- #DonaldPGrabber Donald P. Grabber. Donald Trump is done. 7 months ago
Category Archives: hillary clinton
Clarity. A must-view, short video from Vox surveying some of the political science data on authoritarianism and its relation to Trump. A really excellent summary.
A woman, it appears, may soon go to jail for a year for laughing at Jeff Sessions. Her name is Desiree Fairooz. A quote from a recent article at CNN’s website: [T]he notion of an American citizen going to jail … Continue reading
A hijacking. A Putin-like coup. Is this where it’s going? The below quote from Yale Holocaust historian Timothy Snyder is the most chilling I’ve run across since the firing of James Comey. It clearly articulates exactly what is at stake: … Continue reading
I don’t like the phrase “not my president.” I understand the sentiment, but I think it would be a more accurate reflection of that sentiment to say, “not my America.” Trump’s America is not my America in exactly the same … Continue reading
In a recent article at The New York Times (“Why We Believe Obvious Untruths”), two cognitive scientists, Philip Fernbach and Steven Sloman, claim that dispersed knowledge is a ready and overriding explanation for why people profess belief in foolish things … Continue reading
WHAT TIME IS IT? There are times When silence Does not mean Neutrality, Nor fairness, Nor indecision, Nor open-mindedness, But consent And approval; Indifference And cowardice. Our time is one Of those times.
Question (a poem for DREAMer Daniela Vargas, in the United States since age seven, arrested in retaliation for exercising her free speech, 2017)
QUESTION What does it mean If a tree falls In a forest On a person And no One makes a sound?
Camille Paglia has, it seems to me, a persistent issue with confirmation bias. In the linked article below, she once again arrives with a dubious thesis that she then (predictably) locates a few snippets of anecdotal evidence for, rarely (never?) … Continue reading
This is the wrong fight. Let him through. Let the Democratic senators express their concerns and make their points, but this is not the man to filibuster. Don’t behave like Republicans have over the past eight years, supporting left-leaning iterations … Continue reading
Steve Bannon’s chief goals are outlined in the link below to a recent Washington Post article. Among them is a large strategic vision grounded in national sovereignty. Bannon thinks that Western countries have surrendered ever increasing degrees of sovereignty to … Continue reading
Robert Young is Probably Wrong. Trump Neutrality Endangers Resisters. And That’s Why Scientists Should March on Washington
The more people who peel off, the more dangerous it becomes for those remaining in the streets who resist. So this is hard for me to read. I post a link to the below article by Robert Young, not because … Continue reading
Fascism? What else do you call this? Six journalists–journalists–reporting on the inaugural protests have been roped into the felony charges brought against some of the property damaging protesters themselves. This should be extremely alarming for anybody who cares about the … Continue reading
In the video below, what we’re seeing is civilizational colonization, not immigration. Muslim men in France are literally driving women out of public spaces. Imagine a suburb of France that was majority Calvinist asserting the authority of Calvin’s “Institutes” over … Continue reading
Below is a clip of the future Secretary of State on climate change. His argumentative maneuvers in the attached clip are predictably glib: (1) climate models possess a wide range of uncertainty; (2) the problems look manageable to him; and … Continue reading
This election is hopelessly tainted. Trump won by just 80,000 votes spread across three swing states–and lost the general election tally by a full 2% (three million votes). Hillary got 48%, Trump 46%, and Stein/Johnson basically the remainder–which means 54% … Continue reading
We’re in a hostage crisis. And a fog. What I think those of us who are white males haven’t absorbed yet about this election is that there’s no being a “citizen,” male or female, second-class or otherwise, in a liberal … Continue reading
Well, I’m searching for something that reflects accurately the emotion evoked in me by this election result. When the past year was ongoing, it was the ending of Hitchcock’s The Birds that seemed the apt metaphor for what I was … Continue reading
Don’t kid yourself. This is still tight. Trump’s bet is on the same demographic Hitler made his bet on in 1933: the non-college educated who live outside of the cities. In places like Berlin, you had many highly educated people … Continue reading
This quote captures for me a lot of the pre-election feel of this weekend: “Asked earlier Friday aboard Air Force One en route to North Carolina what the president makes of a country that has not more clearly rejected Trump, … Continue reading
Misogyny. One of the saddest moments for me in the run-up to Tuesday’s election is reading this morning of a joke that John Sununu–a 77-year-old Trump surrogate, former governor of New Hampshire, former chief of staff to George H.W. Bush, … Continue reading