- 2,487,826 readers since June 2008
- Tori Lahaye on Why was Socrates Put to Death?
- Anonymous on Islam vs. Christianity, and the Mark of the Beast
- Julien Myrrhe on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Þögul ástríða eða villtar nætur? – Bókaskápur Ástu S. on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Vickie on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Sakib on Islam vs. Christianity, and the Mark of the Beast
- Christopher Giustolisi on The Line Between Blasphemy and Iconoclasm: Why PZ Myers Crossed It, and Why Atheists Should Take Him to Task for Doing So
- Angela Monique Sylvester on Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris: Is This What a Rising Christian Political Star Looks Like?
- Vincent on If Trump Now Fires Mueller, Collusion with Russia Will Be Happening Every Day in Real Time
- zachrous on Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- Neutrino Speed-of-Light Watch: Stephen Hawking Refuses to Comment Yet
- What is an Etiological Narrative? And Might Confusion About Its Nature Be the Source for Fundamentalist Religion?
- Matthew 27:51-53: The Bible's "Night of the Living Dead" Passage
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- Ludwig Wittgenstein for Beginners
- In 1935, Were Cary Grant and Randolf Scott Sex Partners? No, But These Images Look Rather Camp
- Self Calming: 86 Ways To Activate Your Parasympathetic Nervous System
- With Stormy Daniels, The Power of Sex–Not the Russians, Not the Majority of Voters–May Finally Achieve Trump’s Unraveling
- Tariffs Are for Friends of Trump–But Not the Rest of Us
- If Trump Now Fires Mueller, Collusion with Russia Will Be Happening Every Day in Real Time
- Trump Slurs His Speech–Again
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 1 year ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 1 year ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 1 year ago
- #DonaldPGroper Donald P. Groper. Donald Trump is done, right? 1 year ago
- #DonaldPGrabber Donald P. Grabber. Donald Trump is done. 1 year ago
Tag Archives: Catholic Church
This new documentary has it. Here’s the trailer.
To focus the mind, let’s point to just one of the things Joe Paterno did (or, rather, failed to do) as coach at Penn State. In 2002, one of his coaches sodomized a ten-year-old boy in a university locker room shower. Assistant … Continue reading
As an agnostic, it’s nice to learn that the head of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Benedict XVI (a.k.a Cardinal Ratzinger), wants to make solidarity with me in pursuit of truth, goodness, and peace. In a recent speech, here’s part of … Continue reading
Kansas City Bishop Robert W. Finn Knew of the Child Pornography Photographs Taken by Father Shawn Ratigan
Father Robert W. Finn is bishop of the Kansas City-St. Joseph archdiocese. He is also, according to today’s New York Times, an outspoken theological conservative. And he’s a protector of at least one child abuser. That child abuser’s name is Father Shawn Ratigan. Here’s the … Continue reading
And Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict) spent years stalling his removal from the priesthood. Here’s the BBC today: AP says the 1985 correspondence, written in Latin, shows the cardinal saying that Kiesle’s removal would need careful review. Cardinal Ratzinger urged … Continue reading
According to news reports, Cardinal Sean Brady ordered “two children to keep silent after they were sexually assaulted by a priest.” Did you catch that? As of today, Pope Benedict has not relieved Cardinal Brady of his duties, and Cardinal Brady has … Continue reading
Membership has its privileges. . Apparently, you get lots of nice things when you cover up for pedophiles. Here’s Andrew Sullivan today: [I]f the Pope asked Brady to resign, wouldn’t he also have to ask himself to resign? After all, … Continue reading
I’ve been reading Jonathan Kirsch’s history of the the Inquisition, titled The Grand Inquisitor’s Manuel: A History of Terror in the Name of God (Harper-Collins 2008), and waterboarding is a gift to George Bush (and the Gestapo and Stalin’s Secret … Continue reading
A Very Grimm Fairytale, Indeed: The Anti-Semitic Blood Libel Folk Story of Anderl von Rinn (also Known as “Andreas Oxner”) Appeared in One of the Earliest Editions of the Grimm Brothers’ “Fairytales” (Early 19th Century)
The first Christian “blood libel” story directed toward Jews is in the Gospel of Matthew (where the gospel writer claims that the Jewish crowd at Jesus’ trial, crying for his crucifixion, collectively called out to Pontius Pilate: “His blood be upon us and upon our children!”). Subsequent blood … Continue reading
Christopher Hitchens on What Pope Benedict’s Reversal of Excommunication on Antisemite and Holocaust Denier, Bishop Richard Williamson, Means
At Newsweek, Christopher Hitchens puts in his two cents on Pope Benedict, and his recent reversal of excommunication on the Antisemitic and Holocaust denying Bishop, Richard Williamson. Hitchens reminds us that the Catholic Church, prior to Vatican II, had a long … Continue reading