- 2,759,166 readers since June 2008
- Jim Loving on Robert Wright on Osiris, Jesus, Dives, and Lazarus
- longviewhypnosis on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Dave on Barack Obama: The Leopard in the Book of Daniel?
- De Seksuele Sociale Norm - ilvy.com on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- fred on Have Yourself a Maoist Little Christmas?
- Les on Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris: Is This What a Rising Christian Political Star Looks Like?
- This Hans Holbein Painting of Christ after Crucifixion Sparked Fyodor Dostoevsky's Imagination
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- "The Vision of Christ That Thou Dost See": William Blake on the Many Faces of Jesus
- Existential Absurdity in Stephen Crane's "The Open Boat" (1897)
- Evolution? The Fossils Say Yes: A Book Review of Donald Prothero's "Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters" (Columbia University Press 2007)
- Is Atheism Just the Denial of Gods?
- Information and Entropy for Beginners
- Woke Fanatics? Essentialists vs. Nominalists
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.10: Emerson’s “Circles”
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.8: Selection And Editing
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.7: Audience And Rhetorical Strategy
- AOC says it well. twitter.com/CNN/status/108… 1 year ago
- nytimes.com/interactive/20… 1 year ago
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 3 years ago
Tag Archives: children
A really good evolution education video via the University of California at Berkeley. We’ve evolved to be more like bonobos than sharks, and it’s one reason why I’m not worried that the decline of religion will lead to deteriorating moral … Continue reading
Numerous parts of President Obama’s speech at Newtown on Sunday pricked me, but the following was especially jarring: Why are we here? What gives our life meaning? What gives our acts purpose? […] There’s only one thing we can be … Continue reading
In the event you missed the news, John Derbyshire recently wrote a bewilderingly racist essay that got him removed as a contributing editor to National Review. His topic: what white parents should tell their white children about race, most particularly blacks. … Continue reading
A powerful appeal from Hitchens when he was clearly in decline. Carpe diem. _____ Hitchens would have had his 62nd birthday this past week, and Charlie Rose did a powerful roundtable discussion with four of his closest friends—Salmon Rushdie, Martin … Continue reading
I love the burden of today. My lion’s “No” makes way; my sacred “Yes” is child’s play. Zarathustra had his say.
In the 1970s, All in the Family had an episode (in season six) in which Thanksgiving dinner is disrupted over Michael Stivic’s atheism, and Michael and Gloria’s determination not to raise their baby with a religion:
At around 6 pm this evening, I listened to a radio host at KFI, the largest radio station in Los Angeles, do a segment on swine flu. The host has a four year old daughter, and he noted that medical researchers … Continue reading
This is the way the world works (in case you just got here). This today at the Huffington Post: Building on a story that BusinessWeek broke, NBC reports that employees at the New York Stock Exchange, bankers at Goldman Sachs … Continue reading
But they don’t have trick or treat bags, do they? Did kids used to go around and shill for candy back then? Link with more of these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/opiummuseum/4033581631/in/set-72157622380888091/
The anti-science anti-vaccination hysteria circulating in the United States is having real and serious consequences to public health. Wired magazine has an interesting article on this latest example of young Earth creationism-like mass stupidity spreading across America here. Money quote: In May, The New England … Continue reading
Here’s the CDC’s recommendation regarding swine flu vaccination, as reported in the Washington Post: The first swine flu precaution that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests for parents: As soon as a vaccine is available, try to get … Continue reading
I don’t know who made the above video, but I find it moving, and I like the take-away message from it. The philosophical questions of religion, because they dwell upon issues of infinity and moral reasoning, can assist in the … Continue reading
Swine flu (H1N1) is starting to hit young people hard. According to the Washington Post today, 49 children have died in the U.S. so far. If you don’t get flu and pneumonia vaccine shots this year (for you and your … Continue reading