- 2,766,819 readers since June 2008
- Learning Plan – Meg Dobson-Armstrong Art on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Commercial project: House of illustration competition – Meg Dobson-Armstrong Art on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Dennis Gannon on “Male and Female Created He Them!”: Was Adam a Hermaphrodite? And Does That Explain How Eve Could Be Taken from Adam’s Body?
- Anonymous on UFOs, Aliens, and Religious Art
- Janet on Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: Children Lined up with Heads Shaved in a Croatian Concentration Camp
- Jim Loving on Robert Wright on Osiris, Jesus, Dives, and Lazarus
- longviewhypnosis on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- frauposaune on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Andre Fruge on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Dave on Barack Obama: The Leopard in the Book of Daniel?
- Aletha Balke on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- De Seksuele Sociale Norm - ilvy.com on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Kelsey on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Fake People, Pure Product - Ordinary Times on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Hailee Steinfeld’s ‘Afterlife’ Debuts in New ‘Dickinson’ Trailer - Screen Times on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- Ludwig Wittgenstein for Beginners
- What Does Thomas Muthee Say Happened to Mama Jane? Sarah Palin's Exorcist, Thomas Muthee, Tells What He Did to Mama Jane, the "Witch" of Kiambu
- "We Rule You, We Fool You": Classic 1911 Poster Depicting Capitalism Titled "Pyramid of Capitalist System"
- Harold Camping's Apocalypse Fail Watch: To Be Rapture Ready, Adrienne Martinez Gave up on Medical School!
- "The Vision of Christ That Thou Dost See": William Blake on the Many Faces of Jesus
- Two Interesting UFO Documents: The "Smith Memo" (1950) and Physicist Robert Sarbacher's 1983 Letter
- The Bhagavad Gita and Socrates vs. Homer and The Iliad
- Rachel Bitecofer on who the VP pick should be is in The New York Times today. #ShhhRachelBiticoferisspeaking 2 days ago
- RT @ProjectLincoln: 📺 Mourning In America https://t.co/djkH0ySCqo 3 weeks ago
- AOC says it well. twitter.com/CNN/status/108… 1 year ago
- nytimes.com/interactive/20… 1 year ago
- RT @mrchan: So much has changed in America, and yet so much hasn't https://t.co/x2mthUr4Kc 1 year ago
Tag Archives: Christian
A lesson in growing up: I know that you are offended—and no, I won’t be apologizing or adjusting my language to match your sensibilities
I’m here. I have unorthodox views. I’m expressing them directly. Deal with it. Philip Pullman asserts his right to set the rhetorical tone and intellectual content of the messages that he sends and the right of people to give them attention … Continue reading
Apparently, a disproportionate number of them stop attending church. A curious statistic at Uncommon Descent: 75% of Christian youth leave the church after high school. I assume that the churches get at least some of these young people back after … Continue reading
Snipers From Atop a Government Building Shoot into a Crowd of Protesters. One Young Man, in This YouTube Video, Appears to Be Bleeding to Death
This today on YouTube. Why aren’t the American cable networks airing these images and following what’s happening in Iran more thoroughly?:
U.S. Holocaust Museum Rifleman James W. von Brunn and Bill O’Reilly Agree: The New York Times Wants “to break down the white, Christian, male power structure”
But, hey, don’t blame O’Reilly for giving aid and comfort to far-right racist and Antisemitic elements in America, right? In light of U.S. Holocaust Museum rifleman James W. von Brunn’s white supremicist Internet screeds, and Fox News’s attempt to set distance between itself … Continue reading
In 1943, Reinhold Niebuhr wrote: “There are no limits to be set in history for the achievement of more universal brotherhood, for the development of more perfect and more inclusive mutual relations. All the characteristic hopes and aspirations of Renaissance … Continue reading
ARCHETYPAL OVERLOAD! Samsara, Icarus, Nicodemus, The Cynic Diogenes, The Prodigal Son, Kafka’s Hunger Artist, Socrates, Odysseus, Freud’s Oedipal Totem and Taboo Idealized Daddy Memory, and Christian Conversion—All in a Kansas Song! (And Accompanied by a Greek Chorus!)
Really. Listen: Once I rose above the noise and confusion (just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion) I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high! Though my eyes could see, I still was a blind man. Though … Continue reading
Jesse Ventura has a clear head on torture. And I thought Elisabeth Hasselbeck was a “Christian.” Isn’t a Christian someone who follows gentle Jesus, meek and mild—a man who was tortured? Wouldn’t Jesus regard the phrase “Christian torturer” to be an oxymoron? … Continue reading
Scandal? When American Evangelical Christians Distribute the New Testament to Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan, are They Doing Something Wrong?
The following video clip from Al Jazeera is being touted as damning evidence that Evangelicals are abusing their positions, and violating their military missions, distributing copies of the New Testament to Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan: I’m an agnostic, but … Continue reading
Something that people might not know about Charlotte Perkins Gilman, the 19th century author of the frequently assigned feminist short story, “The Yellow Wallpaper”, is that she was also a poet. In her lifetime she published well over 500 poems. … Continue reading
Ex-Evangelical Rightist, Frank Schaeffer (the Son of Francis Schaeffer) Discusses on CNN the “THREE R’s” (the Religious Right, Rush Limbaugh, and the Republican Party)
“I do not wish to belong to the same Church as Williamson”: At the London Telegraph a Catholic Forcefully Responds to Pope Benedict’s Embrace of a Holocaust Denier, Bishop Richard Williamson
“I do not wish to belong to the same Church as Williamson . . .” So says Catholic Damien Thompson, in the Telgraph of London, in response to Pope Benedict reversing the excommunication of Holocaust-denier Richard Williamson. Read Thompson’s full response to … Continue reading
$150,000 Dollars in Clothes Purchases?: Your McCain-Palin Campaign Contributions Hard at Work—Dressing Sarah!
In a time of economic crisis, Christian Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is spending on new clothes like it’s, eh, the Gilded Age (circa 1929). Whatever happened to “behold the lillies of the fields” in the Sermon on the Mount? … Continue reading
Poorly Thought Out, Followed by Denial and Full Speed Ahead!: Is VP Pick Sarah Palin Yet Another Iraq-like Fiasco for Republicans?
Conservative Atlantic blogger, Andrew Sullivan, sees a pattern: This . . . reminds me of the Iraq war. Even though the warning signs are now blaring red and flashing, even though we face a meltdown if Palin is nominated, and … Continue reading
University of Minnesota biologist, and now illiberal iconoclast, PZ Myers, has managed to get hold of a consecrated host and desecrate it. Here’s his post on it: OK, time for the anticlimax. I know some of you have proposed intricate … Continue reading
James Carse, a retired academic who ran the Religious Studies Program at New York University for 30 years, just came out with a new book titled, The Religious Case Against Belief. In an interview at Salon.com, he said something about Thomas Aquinas … Continue reading
I’ll Take an Evangelical Free Thinker over a Rigid, Emotionally Closed Off Atheist Anytime: Why Atheists and Agnostics Shouldn’t Be Defending PZ Myers
PZ Myers’s emotional rigidity and his digging in on his position that it’s okay to get a priest, under false pretenses, to give you a consecrated wafer so that you can take it home and desecrate it, reminds us that: The real … Continue reading
Onward Atheist Soldier?: Iraq Veteran Files Lawsuit Claiming There is a Climate of Discrimination Against Non-Christians in the Military
CNN has a story today about Army Spc. Jeremy Hall, a former Baptist, now atheist, who believes that there is a climate of discrimination against non-Christians in the military: Like many Christians, he said grace before dinner and read the … Continue reading