- 2,777,106 readers since June 2008
- barneybettyhill on Carl Sagan Looks Like an Alien and Wants Us to Believe That There are No Aliens Visiting Earth. Shouldn’t That Tell You Something?
- Glenn Hall on “We Rule You, We Fool You”: Classic 1911 Poster Depicting Capitalism Titled “Pyramid of Capitalist System”
- The Journey Starts Now: How To Discover What Motivates Us - Yellow Parachute Learning Partners on Human Beings are “Purpose Maximizers, Not Profit Maximizers”
- Anonymous on Walt Whitman: “To be indeed a God!”
- Commercial Project 1 from start to finish – Meg Dobson-Armstrong Art on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Learning Plan – Meg Dobson-Armstrong Art on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Commercial project: House of illustration competition – Meg Dobson-Armstrong Art on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Dennis Gannon on “Male and Female Created He Them!”: Was Adam a Hermaphrodite? And Does That Explain How Eve Could Be Taken from Adam’s Body?
- Anonymous on UFOs, Aliens, and Religious Art
- Janet on Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: Children Lined up with Heads Shaved in a Croatian Concentration Camp
- Jim Loving on Robert Wright on Osiris, Jesus, Dives, and Lazarus
- longviewhypnosis on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- frauposaune on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Andre Fruge on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Dave on Barack Obama: The Leopard in the Book of Daniel?
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Clit Rubbing Bonobos: A Clue to the Evolutionary Origin of Human Homosexuality?
- Does Time Exist? Einstein, Julian Barbour, Lee Smolin, Some Greek Philosophers--And The New Data From The NASA Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope
- An Atheist Writes a Poem: Thomas Hardy's "Hap"
- Suicide is Painless? Albert Camus's First Problem of Philosophy---and the Southern Novelist Walker Percy's Answer to It
- Chance v. Conspiracy Theory Watch: Ezra Klein's Contingency Observations v. Matt Damon's "The Adjustment Bureau"
- The Difference Between Having An Ideology And Having An Agenda
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- Shakespeare, James Joyce, and the Dirty Encoding in Britney Spears's "If U Seek Amy"
- RT @RachelBitecofer: Remember when you had a chance to choose country over party and you chose party @SenatorCollins? Well, @ProjectLincol… 6 days ago
- RT @RachelBitecofer: Trump cares more about dead traitors than live patriots. RT this @votevets ad & tell your followers https://t.co/OD5Z… 1 week ago
- RT @ltgrusselhonore: Make a note, We need to forbid police and federal agents from using military uniforms . The camo uniforms are meant to… 2 weeks ago
- RT @MittRomney: Unprecedented, historic corruption: an American president commutes the sentence of a person convicted by a jury of lying t… 3 weeks ago
- RT @MeidasTouch: Hey @EricTrump, you know what they say, #BirdsofaFeather. Retweet to remind Eric that his dad is a sicko. https://t.co/Yb… 1 month ago
Tag Archives: Dick Cheney
Shunned Andrew Watch: Mars Hill Cult Excommunicates Member Who Wouldn’t Write Out His Sexual History
The sheer fanatic creepiness of this is worthy of Arthur Miller’s The Crucible. The following appeared yesterday at the Christianity Today website: Over the last month, several blogs have discussed the case of Andrew, a member of Mars Hill Church’s Ballard, … Continue reading
I just read Part 1 of the Washington Post’s investigative report on “Top Secret America.” Below is my brief digest of Part 1, accompanied by what I regard as the article’s key quotes. The full piece is here. The Washington Post calls the Fort Meade cluster of … Continue reading
John Yoo: A War Criminal Who Materially Assisted Torturers is Interrupted by a Guy Named Larry, a Graduate Student at Johns Hopkins University
Larry and his friend stand up to a Bush torture enabler. They are true American patriots.
Look, I like Rosemary’s Baby too. But in the Washington Post yesterday, the acclaimed historian of Soviet era gulags (in other words, a serious person), Anne Applebaum, offers a bizarre and full throated defense of Roman Polanski’s giving a 13 year old girl alcohol … Continue reading
John Podesta was President Bill Clinton’s Chief of Staff from 1998-2001. According to Wikipedia: John Podesta has supported efforts from the UFO research community to pressure the United States government to release files to the public that could bring light … Continue reading
Dick Cheney appears to be at the center of an eight year cover-up from the Congress of a secret CIA program. This today in the NY Times: The Central Intelligence Agency withheld information about a secret counterterrorism program from Congress for eight years … Continue reading
Beyond chilling. The AP reports today that the CIA and the Bush Administration, for eight years, decided not to inform Congress of one of its secret programs (still publicly undisclosed). Eight years. And the CIA didn’t even tell Leon Panetta about the … Continue reading
“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white . . .” —Richard M Nixon. —————————- And Andrew Sullivan observes: “So the 37th president would have aborted the 44th.”
Scott Horton v. Stu Taylor:
Jeffrey Goldberg talked to John McCain today about Dick Cheney and torture: “When you have a majority of Americans, seventy-something percent, saying we shouldn’t torture, then I’m not sure it helps for the Vice President to go out and continue … Continue reading
Jesse Ventura has a clear head on torture. And I thought Elisabeth Hasselbeck was a “Christian.” Isn’t a Christian someone who follows gentle Jesus, meek and mild—a man who was tortured? Wouldn’t Jesus regard the phrase “Christian torturer” to be an oxymoron? … Continue reading
Doesn’t that one make your heart go pitter-patter? Paul Begala lets loose: The inimitable Mark Shields says there are two kinds of political parties: those that seek out converts and those that hunt down heretics. Barack Obama – like Ronald … Continue reading
Lindsey Graham Defending Torture (from the Inquisition to the Bush Era): “One of the reasons these techniques have survived for about 500 years is apparently they work!”
Go to the 2:58 point of this clip to hear Republican Senator Lindsey Graham’s justification for 500 years of torture (from the Inquisition to the Bush era): Torture works? Works for what? It works for yielding false confessions and to assist … Continue reading
“What serious thinker wants to support the party of Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck?”: Do Republicans Have an Intellectual and Intelligence Gap to Make Up with the Democrats?
Conservative Andrew Sullivan today contemplates a Republican Party that is not being replenished and rejuvenated by enough young and serious intellectuals. Sullivan thinks that most smart public policy people are overwhelmingly moving into the Democratic camp, and that there’s a real and growing intellectual … Continue reading
On Face the Nation today: SCHIEFFER: How much did President Bush know specifically about the methods that were being used? We know that you– and you have said– that you approved this… CHENEY: Right. SCHIEFFER: … somewhere down the line. … Continue reading
Beliefnet today discusses John Ashcroft’s role in Bush era torture. Ashcroft, an evangelical, and George Bush’s first attorney general, was one of those who would have had to approve the key torture memos: Many of the key memos justifying torture … Continue reading
“That complete record will, in due course, come out”: Rachel Maddow Presses Colin Powell on Bush Era Torture, and Gets Powell Squirming and Hinting That the Torture Memos Will Tell a Fuller Story
It looks like we’re in for some very big (and disturbing) news surrounding the Bush-Cheney torture memos. And Rachel Maddow is my hero:
The Upanishads, the Bible, and Greek Tragedy: Would We Have Had These Great Works of Literature Without Dick Cheney-like Free Market Competition?
What role does competition play in the generation of imaginitive art and literature? Here are six things that suggest that competition plays a very large part indeed: First, in ancient Indian literature, particularly in the early formation of the Rig Veda … Continue reading