- 2,777,504 readers since June 2008
- barneybettyhill on Carl Sagan Looks Like an Alien and Wants Us to Believe That There are No Aliens Visiting Earth. Shouldn’t That Tell You Something?
- Glenn Hall on “We Rule You, We Fool You”: Classic 1911 Poster Depicting Capitalism Titled “Pyramid of Capitalist System”
- The Journey Starts Now: How To Discover What Motivates Us - Yellow Parachute Learning Partners on Human Beings are “Purpose Maximizers, Not Profit Maximizers”
- Anonymous on Walt Whitman: “To be indeed a God!”
- Commercial Project 1 from start to finish – Meg Dobson-Armstrong Art on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Learning Plan – Meg Dobson-Armstrong Art on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Commercial project: House of illustration competition – Meg Dobson-Armstrong Art on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Dennis Gannon on “Male and Female Created He Them!”: Was Adam a Hermaphrodite? And Does That Explain How Eve Could Be Taken from Adam’s Body?
- Anonymous on UFOs, Aliens, and Religious Art
- Janet on Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: Children Lined up with Heads Shaved in a Croatian Concentration Camp
- Jim Loving on Robert Wright on Osiris, Jesus, Dives, and Lazarus
- longviewhypnosis on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- frauposaune on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Andre Fruge on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Dave on Barack Obama: The Leopard in the Book of Daniel?
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- An Atheist Writes a Poem: Thomas Hardy's "Hap"
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- Suicide is Painless? Albert Camus's First Problem of Philosophy---and the Southern Novelist Walker Percy's Answer to It
- Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: A German Jewish Girl Who Was Part of the Kindertransport (1939)
- Chance v. Conspiracy Theory Watch: Ezra Klein's Contingency Observations v. Matt Damon's "The Adjustment Bureau"
- Martha Nussbaum's Question: How Can We Activate Our Imaginative, Critical, And Moral Intelligences Against Invisibility?
- Does Time Exist? Einstein, Julian Barbour, Lee Smolin, Some Greek Philosophers--And The New Data From The NASA Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- James Wood: Literature Complexifies the Atheist-Theist Debate
- RT @RachelBitecofer: Remember when you had a chance to choose country over party and you chose party @SenatorCollins? Well, @ProjectLincol… 1 week ago
- RT @RachelBitecofer: Trump cares more about dead traitors than live patriots. RT this @votevets ad & tell your followers https://t.co/OD5Z… 2 weeks ago
- RT @ltgrusselhonore: Make a note, We need to forbid police and federal agents from using military uniforms . The camo uniforms are meant to… 3 weeks ago
- RT @MittRomney: Unprecedented, historic corruption: an American president commutes the sentence of a person convicted by a jury of lying t… 3 weeks ago
- RT @MeidasTouch: Hey @EricTrump, you know what they say, #BirdsofaFeather. Retweet to remind Eric that his dad is a sicko. https://t.co/Yb… 1 month ago
Tag Archives: evangelicals
With regard to bakers who might balk, out of conscience, in making a cake for a gay wedding, I think many of us who are heterosexual and support gay marriage have a problem: our empathy goes all in one direction–toward … Continue reading
America’s Largest Cult: 64% of Evangelicals Hold to the Young Earth Creationist Belief That “God created humans pretty much in their present form at one time in the last 10,000 years or so.”
Physicist Karl Giberson, a former evangelical who now identifies as a mainline Protestant, has written an admirably clear-headed essay for The Daily Beast on contemporary evangelicalism’s fraught relationship with the theory of evolution. Here he is summarizing scientific illiteracy in … Continue reading
American evangelicals certainly think so, and a new documentary, God Loves Uganda, tells the story of their interaction with the country, and how that interaction is impacting cultural politics there (most especially in relation to a new death penalty law … Continue reading
Here’s a bit of what Christianity Today reported about it: The most sobering moment for attendees of the Biologos “Theology of Celebration” conference in New York City, March 20–22 , came when David Kinnaman of Barna Research presented findings on … Continue reading
Evangelicals in South Carolina have spoken. For president, they prefer a thrice-married serial adulterer and unapologetic Herderian to a Mormon. Informative. Who ever said the world was perfect? Andrew Sullivan lays out a plausible route forward for Republicans this year: … Continue reading
_____ Well put: If an unbeliever such as Jefferson or non-churchman like Lincoln can serve brilliantly as president, then America should stand — in an intolerant world characterized all too frequently by religious persecution — as a stirring example of … Continue reading
I think this remix on Rick Perry’s “Strong” ad illustrates rather nicely the ugly way that gays function as “out-group” in contemporary Republican politics:
This curious ad comes from the Israeli government. Its purpose is to discourage Israelis from marrying American Jews or moving to America (as either of these might lead to such horrors as Christmas-celebrating grandchildren). Andrew Sullivan sees the ad as … Continue reading
A prominent scholar of the Hebrew Bible, and an Evangelical, Bruce Waltke recently stated the obvious—that evolution is true—and lost his teaching position at Reformed Theological Seminary for it. Here’s Inside Higher Ed today: When it comes to incriminating videos these days, the … Continue reading
Gay Execution in Uganda: Pastor Rick Warren Tries to Walk His Fellow Evangelicals Back from a Precipice
John Calvin’s Geneva: A Little Reminder of What It’s Like to Live in a World Where Church and State are Combined
I’m kind of weirded out by people who express nostalgia for John Calvin, and call themselves admirers of his. I think it a useful correction to this nostalgia to actually recall what it was like, exactly, to live in John … Continue reading
Scandal? When American Evangelical Christians Distribute the New Testament to Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan, are They Doing Something Wrong?
The following video clip from Al Jazeera is being touted as damning evidence that Evangelicals are abusing their positions, and violating their military missions, distributing copies of the New Testament to Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan: I’m an agnostic, but … Continue reading
Who Would Jesus Torture? Evangelical Christian Profession Highly Correlates with Support for Torture
A new Pew poll correlates Evangelical Christian profession with support for the torture of “suspected terrorists.” That correlation is 79%. See the poll results here. And see here and here for dissection of the poll. In other words, eight in … Continue reading
In January, Mike told Ann he’s against them Sodomites. Scout’s honor: Ain’t the contemporary Republican Party grand?
Authorial Purpose and Textual Conflation: When Evangelicals and Jehovah Witnesses Argue Over Jesus’s Divinity, are They Both Missing Something?
It’s a curious thing to see Evangelicals argue with Jehovah Witnesses, for they cannot seem to agree on a crucial question: Was Jesus, ultimately, just the “Son of God” or was he also “God incarnate”? Invariably, Jehovah Witnesses appeal to … Continue reading
At Salon.com today, Camille Paglia is asked by one of her readers what she thinks of the Bible, and the prophecies in the Old Testament (the Hebrew Bible) that were supposedly “fulfilled” by Jesus in the New Testament. Here’s what she … Continue reading
Andrew Sullivan today asks a good question about anti-homosexual HETEROSEXUALS who would exclude gays from civil marriage recognition: Why are their marriages defined not by the virtues they sustain but the people they exclude?
Witchcraft Hysteria is Rampant In Africa: When Sarah Palin’s African Exorcist, Thomas Muthee, Prayed Over Her to Protect Her From Witchcraft, Here’s Some Context for Understanding His Prayer
In Africa, witchcraft functions the way that antisemitism did in medieval Europe—as an explanation for every community misfortune. This belief is both driven, and exploited, by fundamentalist charismatics like Thomas Muthee. Even children are treated as witches—and blamed for bad … Continue reading
John McCain Swiftboats Jesus!: If Jesus Were Running Against Republican John McCain, This Is The Kind of Ad We’d See
The Pew polling organization released a rather sobering piece of news this week. Nearly two out of three white, Southern evangelicals are okay with the American government using torture to obtain information from suspected terrorists. Money quote: A new poll released … Continue reading