- 2,589,661 readers since June 2008
- Anonymous on Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: Children Experimented upon at Auschwitz
- busty on Christopher Hitchens, Henry David Thoreau, and Peitho
- Maria C. on How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- J on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Daniel on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Daniel on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- iranblogknew.ir on Trump’s VP Pick Mike Pence a Homophobe
- irancorporate.ir/ on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- edwardpalamar on Was Jesus the Only One to Rise from the Dead on Easter Weekend?
- collin237 on Thinking Critically about Critical Theory
- BestAurelio on Christopher Hitchens, Henry David Thoreau, and Peitho
- Rachel Jennings-Tafarella on A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.2: Notice Where Arguments Start And Stop
- A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.6: Distinguishing The Logically Possible From The Actual | Prometheus Unbound on A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.3: Worldview
- A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.6: Distinguishing The Logically Possible From The Actual | Prometheus Unbound on A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.4: Spanning The Bridge From Logical Possibility To Truth
- A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.8: Scientific Method — Prometheus Unbound – „Ingerii sunt spirite inaripate, prietene cu spiritul tau inaripat.“ on A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.8: Scientific Method
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: Children Experimented upon at Auschwitz
- Matthew 27:51-53: The Bible's "Night of the Living Dead" Passage
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- "Symbols": A Poem by Christina Rossetti
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- Ludwig Wittgenstein for Beginners
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.9: Imitation And Emulation With An Eye On Competition
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.8: Selection And Editing
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.7: Audience And Rhetorical Strategy
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.6: Moving From First Sentence To Thesis
- A Mini-Course in Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.16: Thinking Critically About Beauty, Art, And Literature
- nytimes.com/interactive/20… 4 months ago
- RT @mrchan: So much has changed in America, and yet so much hasn't https://t.co/x2mthUr4Kc 6 months ago
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 1 year ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 1 year ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 2 years ago
Tag Archives: freedom of speech
“We’re not delicate flowers.” __________ I like Rauch’s distinction between purism and pluralism: purism, on his account, protects from offensive speech, presuming that the community must be kept clean from the public expression of certain ideas; pluralism protects dialogue, presuming that … Continue reading
I don’t know if Mike Bost, an Illinois state legislator, is a Republican or a Democrat, but I’m impressed with his lucidity in the midst of strong emotion. His complaint: a giant bill has come to him without sufficient time … Continue reading
Censorship Watch: For Sake of Mohammad, Valentina Sereni Seeks Ban on Dante, Gustav Dore, William Blake, and Botticelli
I feel personally broadsided. As someone who assigns Dante’s Divine Comedy (in Allen Mandelbaum’s great translation) to college students at least once every year-and-a-half or so, the following news headline, from London’s Telegraph, is disconcerting (to say the least): Dante’s Divine Comedy … Continue reading
As of this morning, over 26,000 Facebookers are calling for the death of poet and feminist Hamza Kashgari for Twitter blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad. The number has been steadily climbing over the past week. If you find this as distressing as … Continue reading
Twitter Blasphemy: 18,000 Facebookers Call for the Death of Feminist Hamza Kashgari for Insulting the Prophet Muhammad
As of this morning, 18,000 is the number of Facebookers calling for the death of Hamza Kashgari for Twitter blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad. The number was 8,000 on Thursday, 13,000 on Friday, and 16,000 on Saturday. Does anyone know … Continue reading
The following was recently posted at the Antelope Valley College website, and I thought I’d put it up here as well: Santi Tafarella Talks About the Ultimate Freedom: Uncensored Thinking Recently AVC faculty member Santi Tafarella passed an amazing number. … Continue reading
There are lots of pressures to conformity in the world, but three examples really jumped out at me recently. The first comes in the form of some young scientists, concerned for their career prospects, scattering away from a video camera to avoid … Continue reading
19-year-old Iowan college student Zach Wahls’s self-possession and public speaking ability is remarkable—and he was raised by a lesbian couple. Here he is defending his two mothers against a discriminatory law being proposed in his state:
Christopher Hitchens in high form, speaking out on behalf of Salmon Rushdie in 1989:
Even though I’m an agnostic, I love Christmas music and Christmas movies. I must, for example, have upward of 300 Christmas songs on my iPod. And every year my family and I watch Alastair Sim as Scrooge in A Christmas Carol and … Continue reading
The below video is just a little reminder to myself as a liberal that a lot of liberals are stupid and unironic too. It was actually made by some liberals at New Left Media (who usually bring their straight and sober … Continue reading
A Stomp is Not an Argument: Rand Paul Supporters Tear a Wig off a Woman, Drag Her to the Ground, Then One of The Crowd Stomps on Her Head
Rand Paul supporters show their respect for Western liberal democracy, freedom of expression, and a woman’s right to approach Rand Paul: Message: Total message control. Don’t ever, ever approach Rand Paul. Ever. ——————- UPDATE: Here’s the unedited AP clip of the … Continue reading
In response to Feisal Abdul Rauf’s proposed mosque near ground zero, a Christian by the name of Bill Keller is fund-raising for an eight million dollar “9-11 Christian Center” to be built near ground zero. Want to donate to the building of Bill Keller’s 9/11 Christian Center? You … Continue reading
Of course, it will be appealed. But this is still big news on the separation of church and state front. This today in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: A Wisconsin federal judge on Thursday found the National Day of Prayer unconstitutional, … Continue reading
A lesson in growing up: I know that you are offended—and no, I won’t be apologizing or adjusting my language to match your sensibilities
I’m here. I have unorthodox views. I’m expressing them directly. Deal with it. Philip Pullman asserts his right to set the rhetorical tone and intellectual content of the messages that he sends and the right of people to give them attention … Continue reading
John Yoo: A War Criminal Who Materially Assisted Torturers is Interrupted by a Guy Named Larry, a Graduate Student at Johns Hopkins University
Larry and his friend stand up to a Bush torture enabler. They are true American patriots.
As a white person, I’m sick of the white hate being directed at President Barack Obama. It’s indecent, and I’m not going to be silent in the face of it. Aaron Wiener of the Washington Independent notices that the far right … Continue reading
It appears so. Ireland now has an unambiguous and explicit blasphemy law, passed on Friday, and its language is chilling. Staks Rosch has all the details here. Below are the Blasphemy Clauses of the Defamation Bill. Let me emphasize again … Continue reading