- 2,147,057 readers since June 2008
- More Ted Kennedy / Shakespeare – Shakespeare Geek on Edward Kennedy: They Say He Made a Good End
- Andreas on Does Emily Dickinson Call Herself “the only kangaroo among the beauty” in One of Her Poems?
- Anonymous on “And if I claim to be a wise man, well, it surely means that I don’t know”: Socratic Skepticism in a Kansas Song (1976)
- Anonymous on What does it mean to live in a contingent universe?
- Vivek narain on What does it mean to live in a contingent universe?
- Angiportus on Donald Trump’s Loaded Gun–and Emily Dickinson’s
- waaltje on Daniel Dennett: the Vanquisher of “Deepity” Religion—and Poetry?
- lala on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Quatermain on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Jon barnes on LHC Watch: Physicist Otto Rossler Thinks the Large Hadron Collider Could Destroy the Earth
- Santi Tafarella on A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- krishna on A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- Marcus on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Jim Taylor on Dance With Me (In The Interpretation Of Lines From Yeats)
- Hatshof on Evolution v. Creation Metaphor Watch: The First Big Salvo in the Metaphor War Comes From Darwin’s “Origin of Species” (1859)
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- Who Is Stephen Greenblatt? Why Should You Care?
- UFOs, Aliens, and Religious Art
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- Life perspective. Sunset on Mars, taken by Curiosity. Monday is NASA's big press conference. wp.me/pgUXj-8tI via @wordpressdotcom 8 months ago
- RT @NewHorizons2015: http://t.co/uzrQF2kuh5 10 months ago
- From A Lion Behind A Bush To God Behind The Oz Curtain: The Evolution Of God Belief wp.me/pgUXj-8qV via @wordpressdotcom 11 months ago
- Deee-Lite - "Groove Is In The Heart" (Official Music Video): youtu.be/gzoEK545j64 via @YouTube 1 year ago
- CNN Distraction: Family of ducks tries to cross highway: youtu.be/mGMzGxeO1wQ via @YouTube 1 year ago
Tag Archives: Great Depression 2.0
I’m not sure what to make of this, but it appears that at least some “people-in-the-know” on Wall Street are getting spooked—survivalist-style spooked. I suppose that, without credit moving through the system, that supply lines of goods and services could … Continue reading
The highly respected (and right so far) economist, Nouriel Roubini (“Dr. Doom”), is now advocating the nationalization of the banks, stabilizing them, and then reselling them back into the private sector. Read his argument for doing this (in a piece … Continue reading
From Nouriel Roubini to Nassim Taleb, The Daily Beast lists the top seven super smart (and right so far) economic doomsayers here. A scary list. Very scary.
In a recent essay, former NY Times foreign correspondant, Chris Hedges, asks what kind of America will evolve, should our current economic contraction prove to be the harbinger of America’s general decline as a world power. Will we see reactionary “Father … Continue reading
The (Economic) Sermons on the Mount: In Davos, Switzerland, George Soros, Niall Ferguson, and Nouriel Roubini Pronounce Global Doom and Gloom
Daniel Gross, of Slate.com, spent three days at the Davos, Switzerland “World Economic Forum,” and among the high powered economists, CEOs, and academics in attendance he could find no optimists about the world economy. Not one. Nada. Zilch. And apparently many … Continue reading
Don’t bail—but let banks fail? We’re “singing a different tune” now that it is America that is in a financial crisis. Today’s NY Times: [C]leaning up the banks’ bad assets, without extracting a heavy price for the bank managers, shareholders … Continue reading
William Greider, of the Nation, paints today the bleakest economic picture that I’ve seen, suggesting that Obama’s stimulus package of 800 billion dollars is too small by at least HALF. He also suggests that Obama will need to nationalize the … Continue reading
Patterson lists the things that he took from this high powered intellectual conference. His whole bullet list is sobering. Below are two of them. Money quote: That there is no soft landing. We are not in a recession. We are … Continue reading
$600 Billion Dollars?: Nobel Economist Paul Krugman Recommends That Obama Propose an Immediate Stimulus/Deficit Spending Package of Over a Half Trillion Dollars. He Says That to Avert a Full-On Depression You Cannot Be Timid
With Best Buy reporting a “seismic” decline in business, and the Fed unable to cut interest rates any lower than they already have, Nobel Prize economist Paul Krugman (of the NY Times) recommends to Obama that he propose immediately, on entering … Continue reading
Great Depression 2.0: Is Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson a 2008 Version of 1929’s Thomas Lamont? (Lamont Was a Banker Who Put Together a Briefly Successful Luqidity Deal Before the Market Fully Collapsed.)
Thomas Lamont was an American banker, a fascist sympathizer, and someone who made use of a private yacht as part of his daily commute to Wall Street. In Ocober of 1929 he was a central player in putting together a liquidity … Continue reading