- 2,758,765 readers since June 2008
- Jim Loving on Robert Wright on Osiris, Jesus, Dives, and Lazarus
- longviewhypnosis on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Dave on Barack Obama: The Leopard in the Book of Daniel?
- De Seksuele Sociale Norm - ilvy.com on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- fred on Have Yourself a Maoist Little Christmas?
- Les on Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris: Is This What a Rising Christian Political Star Looks Like?
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- "The Vision of Christ That Thou Dost See": William Blake on the Many Faces of Jesus
- Clit Rubbing Bonobos: A Clue to the Evolutionary Origin of Human Homosexuality?
- A Get Rich Quick Scheme Using Religion That Actually Works
- The Stockholm Syndrome and Religion
- Woke Fanatics? Essentialists vs. Nominalists
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.10: Emerson’s “Circles”
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.8: Selection And Editing
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.7: Audience And Rhetorical Strategy
- AOC says it well. twitter.com/CNN/status/108… 1 year ago
- nytimes.com/interactive/20… 1 year ago
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 3 years ago
Tag Archives: same-sex marriage
A methodical dismantling of anti-gay marriage claims and their disingenuous supports:
In the Guardian of London (and reposted at AlterNet), Michelle Goldberg has an essay on secularism in America. Money quote: [N]o religious group in the United States is growing as fast as those who profess no religion at all. The … Continue reading
A Supporter of Gay Marriage—and an Opponent of Gay Marriage—Write a Joint Piece in the NY Times Proposing a Federal Compromise on the Issue
This just might work. It seems sensible to me. Money quote: It would work like this: Congress would bestow the status of federal civil unions on same-sex marriages and civil unions granted at the state level, thereby conferring upon them … Continue reading
Andrew Sullivan today asks a good question about anti-homosexual HETEROSEXUALS who would exclude gays from civil marriage recognition: Why are their marriages defined not by the virtues they sustain but the people they exclude?
This brilliant idea comes from Tom Ackerman via Andrew Sullivan’s blog: Yesterday I called a woman’s spouse her boyfriend. She says, correcting me, “He’s my husband,” “Oh,” I say, “I no longer recognize marriage.” The impact is obvious. I tried … Continue reading
Sean Penn may be headed for a “best actor” Oscar for his performance in Milk. Roger Ebert also praises Penn’s performance, and gives the film four stars. Money quote: Sean Penn never tries to show Harvey Milk as a hero, … Continue reading
Today, Salon.com posted an interview with Richard Rodriguez on gay marriage. Money quote: [I]t’s one thing for the churches to insist on their right to define the sacrament of marriage for their own members. But it’s quite another for them to … Continue reading
“I’m proud to be a woman, I’m proud to be a black woman and I’m proud to be gay”: Comedian Wanda Sykes Yesterday Came Out of the Closet as a Lesbian
So according to Andrew Sullivan’s blog here. I’ve always loved Wanda Sykes—both as a comedian and regular character on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Here she is in an anti-homophobia ad apparently released recently: And here’s Wanda Sykes doing a comedy routine … Continue reading
Love not H8. Here’s the organizing website for protesting California’s anti-gay equality Proposition 8 this Saturday: http://jointheimpact.wetpaint.com/
Andrew Sullivan is philosophical about the passage of Proposition 8 in California: Law never trumps love. And one day it will echo it. This is a fine sentiment, recalling Martin Luther King, and rallies the heart for the battles ahead, but … Continue reading
Although Proposition 8 in California passed, and the rights and equality of gay people were set back, Andrew Sullivan said something moving about same sex marriage advocates and activists, and the equality that they came so close to more permanently establishing … Continue reading
See Here San Diego Mayor Sanders Powerful Account of His Reversal on the Issue of Gay Marriage—Then Join Him in Voting NO on Proposition 8
A conservative Republican makes a uniquely powerful and moving appeal for gay equality. Caution: You might cry watching this.
The Spiritual Mapping Movement and Proposition 8: 15,000 Nervy Attendees to an Anti-Gay Rally in San Diego Pray and Organize to Vote to Drive the Devil Out of California
Rex Wockner, a former Catholic seminarian, and now a journalist for numerous gay publications, did a fascinating photo-essay on this weekend’s YES ON PROPOSITION 8 anti-gay rights rally at Qualcom Stadium in San Diego. He found the crowd’s enthusiasm sometimes cult-like—and … Continue reading
Richard Nixon Would Have Voted YES on Proposition 8: Hear Richard Nixon Express His Disgust with San Francisco Gay People Here
The clip below is yet another good reason to vote NO on Proposition 8 (because a homophobe like Richard Nixon would have voted YES):
The Republican mayor of San Diego movingly switches to the pro-gay marriage position. Be prepared to cry watching this:
One of his daughters is lesbian and married in California: