- 2,881,197 readers since June 2008
- What does Lee Smolin mean when he says that the most fundamental theory can have no symmetries? – GrindSkills on Lee Smolin’s Time Reborn: Physics, Evolution, Atheism, and Buddhism
- Anon on Hanger 18: 1950s Military Clerk-Typist, June Crane, Claims That There Were Alien Bodies Stored at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio
- ra on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Mars on Clit Rubbing Bonobos: A Clue to the Evolutionary Origin of Human Homosexuality?
- lastunicorn5 on In 1935, Were Cary Grant and Randolf Scott Sex Partners? No, But These Images Look Rather Camp
- Rhianna on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Nevaeh on Matthew 27:51-53: The Bible’s “Night of the Living Dead” Passage
- Dogwhistle politics explained on A List Of Republican Dog Whistles That No Longer Seem To Work
- Why Do Christian Fundamentalists Burn Books – theologyarchaeology on Does the Bible Advocate Book Burning?
- Philosophy homework help - Nursing Essays Center on Feminism for Beginners
- Philosophy homework help - Coursework Heros on Feminism for Beginners
- Pat on Voltaire: “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”
- Answer the questions | Philosophy homework help | Writings Gate on Feminism for Beginners
- mike on Blogging UFOs: What Do You Make of Professor Robert Jacobs’s Bizarre UFO Testimony?
- Ray Léonard on In praise of Chateauneuf (Voltaire’s godfather and tutor)
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- Clit Rubbing Bonobos: A Clue to the Evolutionary Origin of Human Homosexuality?
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- "The Vision of Christ That Thou Dost See": William Blake on the Many Faces of Jesus
- Gay Marriage and Thomism
- "Courtly Love, Or, Woman As Thing": How To Do Lacanian Analysis Like Slavoj Zizek (Or, At Least Understand What He's Getting At When He Does)
- Ludwig Wittgenstein for Beginners
- The Is-Ought Distinction: What Would Nietzsche Say to Sam Harris?
- Hanger 18: 1950s Military Clerk-Typist, June Crane, Claims That There Were Alien Bodies Stored at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio
- Matthew 27:51-53: The Bible's "Night of the Living Dead" Passage
- @abrahampiper Yahweh as a frustrated deity, much to be pitied! Abraham Piper's insight here, if thought about as a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- RT @tbonier: More than 80M votes cast and we're not done yet. Thoughts: - It's too late for an "October surprise" to have a significant imp… 1 year ago
- RT @RachelBitecofer: 1. Want to thank @DanielNewman for using his HUGE platform for this work. I want to clarify what this is. In the voter… 1 year ago
- RT @RachelBitecofer: Tell me again about how old and feeble Joe Biden is??? twitter.com/ProjectLincoln… 1 year ago
- RT @RachelBitecofer: Remember when you had a chance to choose country over party and you chose party @SenatorCollins? Well, @ProjectLincol… 1 year ago
Tag Archives: sexism
Not subtle, but effective:
__________ The recent appalling spectacle of male obtuseness and excuse-making concerning rape in the military prompted this from Frank Bruni in the NYT yesterday: I can’t get past that widely noted image from a week ago, of the Senate hearing into the … Continue reading
Some amusing and idiotic hand-wringing from an all-male panel over the fact that 4 in ten households in the United States now have a woman as the primary breadwinner. You would never know, based on this conversation, that nothing is … Continue reading
The below image says it all. Not one woman will chair any major committee in the Republican controlled 113th Congress. And not one nonwhite. Not one.
“We’re not delicate flowers.” __________ I like Rauch’s distinction between purism and pluralism: purism, on his account, protects from offensive speech, presuming that the community must be kept clean from the public expression of certain ideas; pluralism protects dialogue, presuming that … Continue reading
Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) with Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) __________ The above two men would forbid a victim of rape or incest to terminate her pregnancy. And they co-sponsored a bill in Congress that brought into contemporary discourse the noxious phrase “forcible rape.” Then Mitt … Continue reading
The Leadership Conference of Women Religious represents 57,000 nuns in the US, but it has become too feminist for the reactionary hierarchy of the Church at Rome. Here’s the BBC: Vatican officials . . . castigated the group for making some … Continue reading
Below is the video Rush Limbaugh doesn’t want you to see. It contains the 70 times he attempted to intimidate Sandra Fluke into shutting up and going away. What does it say about Rush Limbaugh, that he can so shamelessly do … Continue reading
Mitt Romney’s tepid response to Rush Limbaugh’s sexism is likely to come back to haunt him in the general election, at least according to Alex Castellanos: The former Massachusetts governor “didn’t help himself,” says Alex Castellanos, a top strategist for … Continue reading
A reader at Andrew Sullivan’s blog admits to taking a risk: I voted for Obama with my fingers crossed, because I knew that as the populist right lost power, they would become more extreme, more concentrated, and more violent. And … Continue reading
According to the NY Times today, Chip Saltsman, a leading contender for the chairmanship of the Republican party, still won’t apologize for sending out a CD to his fellow Republicans containing songs with titles like “Barack the Magic Negro” and “The Star … Continue reading
A reader at Andrew Sullivan’s blog raises this question: I just want to ask: can anyone, anyone, imagine Condoleeza Rice or Margaret Thatcher or even Hillary Clinton for God’s sake, winking at the nation and/or being coquettish in any national … Continue reading
Thomas Muthee, Sarah Palin, and WITCHCRAFT: Is 21st Century Belief in REAL WITCHES Not Just Intellectually Incoherent, But SEXIST?
Thomas Muthee, when he prays over Sarah Palin, doesn’t talk about a spirit of “warlock craft” being broken over the nation, does he? And when he infamously, and literally, drove-off a person from Kiambu, a city in Kenya, that person was … Continue reading
Mary Ellen Emmons, Mama Jane, and Sarah Palin: Does Palin Have a Problem with Women? In Other Words, Does She Side with Patriarchal Men Against Women—Rendering Women Invisible?
I’ve noticed a curious aspect to Sarah Palin’s career. She seems to have, all of her life, sided with strongly patriarchal men—and patriarchal ideology—against women, rendering them invisible. In a broad sense, this is most obvious with regard to abortion … Continue reading