- 2,358,195 readers since June 2008
- Delphinium Flower on Four Hundred Fifty Antisemitic Verses In The Gospels And Book of Acts
- Nick Reid on In 1935, Were Cary Grant and Randolf Scott Sex Partners? No, But These Images Look Rather Camp
- newscluesandafewblues on American Nazis at Jefferson’s Statue: That Image from Charlottesville I Can’t Get Out of My Mind
- Anonymous on American Nazis at Jefferson’s Statue: That Image from Charlottesville I Can’t Get Out of My Mind
- Vincent on American Nazis at Jefferson’s Statue: That Image from Charlottesville I Can’t Get Out of My Mind
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- In 1935, Were Cary Grant and Randolf Scott Sex Partners? No, But These Images Look Rather Camp
- Matthew 27:51-53: The Bible's "Night of the Living Dead" Passage
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- "Courtly Love, Or, Woman As Thing": How To Do Lacanian Analysis Like Slavoj Zizek (Or, At Least Understand What He's Getting At When He Does)
- Ludwig Wittgenstein for Beginners
- Partially Excited States: An Interview With Charles Hood
- American Nazis at Jefferson’s Statue: That Image from Charlottesville I Can’t Get Out of My Mind
- Distract, Maul, And Dominate: Donald Trump’s CNN Wrestling Video GIF And Hitler’s Reichstag Fire
- What Does It Mean For God To Exist, Think, And Act?
- Trump and Authoritarianism
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 7 months ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 7 months ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 9 months ago
- #DonaldPGroper Donald P. Groper. Donald Trump is done, right? 10 months ago
- #DonaldPGrabber Donald P. Grabber. Donald Trump is done. 10 months ago
Tag Archives: sublime
In Gotthold Ephraim Lessing’s (1729-1781) Laocoon, or On the Limits of Painting and Poetry (1766), there is a key insight: with regard to time and space, poetry and art function differently. A poem must necessarily be read in time and … Continue reading
Contained in Immanuel Kant’s (1724-1804) Critique of the Powers of Judgment are his reflections on beauty and the sublime. Beauty, writes Kant, can be defined as something that is good in itself that pleases the eye; it is absent any utility … Continue reading
__________ Here are four things that I take from this brief TED talk: The empire of the visible is dwarfed by the greater empire of the invisible. There are things that don’t exist, though we imagine them to exist. We hide … Continue reading
When looking at the above video today, I thought of Allen Ginsberg’s “Sunflower Sutra” (in which Ginsberg eulogizes a soot covered dead sunflower). And it made me think: what makes this UFO-like cloud (seen last Wednesday over Moscow) beguiling? And … Continue reading
High school students wander around an old, abandoned Michigan mental hospital. Because the psyche is often thought about as a structure (metaphorically), there’s something poetic and sublime about their drifting from one wrecked and abandoned room to another: The video also called … Continue reading