- 2,777,495 readers since June 2008
- Anonymous on Walt Whitman: “To be indeed a God!”
- Anonymous on UFOs, Aliens, and Religious Art
- Jim Loving on Robert Wright on Osiris, Jesus, Dives, and Lazarus
- longviewhypnosis on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Dave on Barack Obama: The Leopard in the Book of Daniel?
- An Atheist Writes a Poem: Thomas Hardy's "Hap"
- Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: A German Jewish Girl Who Was Part of the Kindertransport (1939)
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- William Dembski: Noah's Flood May Have Been Global
- Does Time Exist? Einstein, Julian Barbour, Lee Smolin, Some Greek Philosophers--And The New Data From The NASA Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
Tag Archives: sublime
In Gotthold Ephraim Lessing’s (1729-1781) Laocoon, or On the Limits of Painting and Poetry (1766), there is a key insight: with regard to time and space, poetry and art function differently. A poem must necessarily be read in time and … Continue reading
Contained in Immanuel Kant’s (1724-1804) Critique of the Powers of Judgment are his reflections on beauty and the sublime. Beauty, writes Kant, can be defined as something that is good in itself that pleases the eye; it is absent any utility … Continue reading
__________ Here are four things that I take from this brief TED talk: The empire of the visible is dwarfed by the greater empire of the invisible. There are things that don’t exist, though we imagine them to exist. We hide … Continue reading
When looking at the above video today, I thought of Allen Ginsberg’s “Sunflower Sutra” (in which Ginsberg eulogizes a soot covered dead sunflower). And it made me think: what makes this UFO-like cloud (seen last Wednesday over Moscow) beguiling? And … Continue reading
High school students wander around an old, abandoned Michigan mental hospital. Because the psyche is often thought about as a structure (metaphorically), there’s something poetic and sublime about their drifting from one wrecked and abandoned room to another: The video also called … Continue reading