- 2,589,661 readers since June 2008
- Anonymous on Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: Children Experimented upon at Auschwitz
- busty on Christopher Hitchens, Henry David Thoreau, and Peitho
- Maria C. on How Many People Could the Ancient Colosseum in Rome Hold?
- J on How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Daniel on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Daniel on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- iranblogknew.ir on Trump’s VP Pick Mike Pence a Homophobe
- irancorporate.ir/ on Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- edwardpalamar on Was Jesus the Only One to Rise from the Dead on Easter Weekend?
- collin237 on Thinking Critically about Critical Theory
- BestAurelio on Christopher Hitchens, Henry David Thoreau, and Peitho
- Rachel Jennings-Tafarella on A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.2: Notice Where Arguments Start And Stop
- A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.6: Distinguishing The Logically Possible From The Actual | Prometheus Unbound on A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.3: Worldview
- A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.6: Distinguishing The Logically Possible From The Actual | Prometheus Unbound on A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.4: Spanning The Bridge From Logical Possibility To Truth
- A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.8: Scientific Method — Prometheus Unbound – „Ingerii sunt spirite inaripate, prietene cu spiritul tau inaripat.“ on A Mini-Course In Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.8: Scientific Method
- Emily Dickinson, Lesbian?: Her Letter to Susan Gilbert, in June of 1852, Might Tell Us Less Than You Think
- How Crazy is Dr. David Jeremiah?
- Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: Children Experimented upon at Auschwitz
- Matthew 27:51-53: The Bible's "Night of the Living Dead" Passage
- What is a Human, Really? Thinking about Definition via Aristotle
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- "Symbols": A Poem by Christina Rossetti
- Adam Smith and Capitalism for Beginners
- Ludwig Wittgenstein for Beginners
- Walt Whitman: "To be indeed a God!"
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.9: Imitation And Emulation With An Eye On Competition
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.8: Selection And Editing
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.7: Audience And Rhetorical Strategy
- A Mini-Course In Rhetoric For Writers. Concept 2.6: Moving From First Sentence To Thesis
- A Mini-Course in Critical Thinking For Writers. Concept 1.16: Thinking Critically About Beauty, Art, And Literature
- nytimes.com/interactive/20… 4 months ago
- RT @mrchan: So much has changed in America, and yet so much hasn't https://t.co/x2mthUr4Kc 6 months ago
- Perfect. twitter.com/newsundayheral… 1 year ago
- RT @goldenglobes: At tonight's #GoldenGlobes we honor Hollywood legend Meryl Streep with the prestigious Cecil B. Demille Award. https://t.… 1 year ago
- If Trump establishes a Muslim registry, and calls on Muslims to provide their names, this agnostic will be joining them. #registerasamuslim 2 years ago
Tag Archives: UFOs
This video explains it: ___________ As the above video nicely, if ironically, illustrates, the hiddenness of God is a serious problem. And academic books have been written on the issue. One is titled Divine Hiddenness: New Essays (edited by Daniel … Continue reading
UFO movements are quite deluded and people who join them are behaving foolishly. Most would agree about that. But if you believe in God, isn’t it curious that God and UFOs readily stand in as tropes for one another? Notice … Continue reading
Life Found on Mars? Neuropharmacologist and Biologist Joseph Miller is “99 Percent Sure There’s Life” on Mars
The Discovery News website this week is reporting some pretty mind-blowing stuff on whether there is bacterial life on Mars, accompanied by an exciting quote from neuropharmacologist and biologist Joseph Miller (who is at the University of Southern California’s Keck School … Continue reading
This morning I heard on the radio a megachurch pastor by the name of Dr. David Jeremiah say some really wild things (even by fundamentalist standards). A description of what I heard him say in his sermon is here. Anyway, his megachurch is … Continue reading
In a recent Washington Post review of a couple of UFO books that have just come out, there’s a sentence that I think nicely summarizes Carl Jung’s thesis on UFOs: [P]sychologist Carl Jung proposed that UFOs symbolized a wish that … Continue reading
Something seems to be brewing around a NASA announcement scheduled for tommorrow. Here’s Denise Chow at Space.com: NASA is expected to make an announcement Thursday on the progress of its Kepler spacecraft, which has been staring at one patch of … Continue reading
I just read Part 1 of the Washington Post’s investigative report on “Top Secret America.” Below is my brief digest of Part 1, accompanied by what I regard as the article’s key quotes. The full piece is here. The Washington Post calls the Fort Meade cluster of … Continue reading
Michael Shermer and his gang of skeptical inquirers look like they’re channeling the Sopranos. And in the word “skeptologist” I feel a vague association with “exorcist.” I don’t know if this show is ever going beyond the pilot stage—or if any … Continue reading
An Invitation: Believe in Evolution and You Too Can Join Richard Dawkins, and His Alien Friends, in the Universe’s Superior Club
When I read this Richard Dawkins quote on page 194 of Schick and Vaughn’s How to Think about Weird Things (5th edition), I smiled at its echoes of religious manipulativeness: If superior creatures from space ever visit Earth, the first question they … Continue reading
Sometimes we think that if we could just have a stunning visual demonstration of something we believe in, that it would convince the nonbelievers in our midst. So it is that alien enthusiasts fantasize about UFOs on the White House lawn, and Evangelical … Continue reading
This in the New York Times about a half-hour ago: The 6-year boy, Falcon Heene, was just found alive, according to reporter Dan Frosch, who is at the boy’s house in Fort Collins, Colo. The Larimer County Sheriff, Jim Alderden, … Continue reading
When looking at the above video today, I thought of Allen Ginsberg’s “Sunflower Sutra” (in which Ginsberg eulogizes a soot covered dead sunflower). And it made me think: what makes this UFO-like cloud (seen last Wednesday over Moscow) beguiling? And … Continue reading
Moscow’s recent eerie UFO “cloud and sun mothership” phenomenon (see here) reminded Jared Burton of the hexagon on Saturn—which I knew zip about. But Jared linked to this interesting article, and I found this on YouTube: And here’s the Moscow UFO … Continue reading
Last Wednesday there was a large UFO disk-like shape, apparently backlighted by the sun, that hung over Moscow, and the video of it has gotten a lot of YouTube attention: The Sun says this about the phenomenon: The video has appeared … Continue reading
At a Burbank UFO conference I attended on Saturday, I had lunch with Richard Dolan (I tell that story here). In the clip below, Dolan is being interviewed at a UFO conference in Nevada: And here’s Dolan’s website and the Amazon link to … Continue reading
This past weekend, a UFO conference came to Burbank, California. It wasn’t far from where I live, so I went. The event was sponsored by Project Camelot, and was held at the Burbank Marriot (by the airport). Here was the event’s poster … Continue reading
The Rational, the Irrational, and the Nonrational: Are These the Right Categories for Meaningful Distinctions?
In a Chris Hedges talk that I recently listened to (on my iPod), Hedges made, in passing, a critique of the New Atheists that they frequently fail to make distinctions between: the rational the irrational the nonrational In atheist terms, according … Continue reading
Nick Pope was interviewed in August of 2009 on British television just after the British government released a new bundle of its UFO files into the public domain: