- 2,776,923 readers since June 2008
- Anonymous on Walt Whitman: “To be indeed a God!”
- Anonymous on UFOs, Aliens, and Religious Art
- Jim Loving on Robert Wright on Osiris, Jesus, Dives, and Lazarus
- longviewhypnosis on What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- Dave on Barack Obama: The Leopard in the Book of Daniel?
- Clit Rubbing Bonobos: A Clue to the Evolutionary Origin of Human Homosexuality?
- Bearing Witness to the Holocaust: A German Jewish Girl Who Was Part of the Kindertransport (1939)
- What, Exactly, Is Wrong With Bestiality?
- "The Vision of Christ That Thou Dost See": William Blake on the Many Faces of Jesus
- UFOs, Aliens, and Religious Art
- Dissipation-Driven Adaptive Organization: Is Jeremy England The Next Charles Darwin?
- John Wayne Cast as Hamlet: A Great Joke About the Plays and Language of Shakespeare
- James Wood: Literature Complexifies the Atheist-Theist Debate
Tag Archives: wellness
Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel: Get an Annual Flu Shot and a Colonoscopy Every Ten Years, But Skip Your Annual Physical
Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, an oncologist, writes at The New York Times today that you should get an annual flu shot and a colonoscopy every ten years, but skip annual physicals. Seriously. He says there is no evidence that they save lives. … Continue reading
Are you a fussy egg handler, quickly washing your hands after touching raw eggs and never, never licking batter from a spoon or bowl if a raw egg has been mixed with it (for fear of salmonella)? In terms of … Continue reading
Pick a card. Imagine each of the following as a card, pick one, and move toward it: courage; mastery; discipline; desire; productivity; acceptance; laughter; imagination; assertion; reason; beauty; silence; hope; organization; truth; efficiency; meaning; wholeness; love; justice; travel; home. In other words, … Continue reading
Research suggests that opening out the body with postures reminiscent of Blake’s Vitruvian man increases esteem, confidence in speaking, and risk-taking. Two ways to open your body are to do some very particular yoga postures or dance. In the below video, Daft Punk … Continue reading
Dr. Ken Murray has offered a follow-up essay providing some statistical support for his claim that doctors really do die differently from the rest of us (that is, they tend to “go gentle into that good night”). Here’s a taste: … Continue reading
Vitamin D seems to be a genuinely potent nutrient that a lot of doctors are recommending, including my family practitioner. The vitamin appears to be associated with lower rates of cancer and diabetes (to name just two large benefits). And the amount … Continue reading
It doesn’t take all that much effort to keep your heart reasonably healthy. This today in the UK’s Daily Express: Just 30 minutes of jogging or cycling three times a week has amazing results for people with heart problems – … Continue reading
It works really, really well. This today in Spiegel: The researchers who develop vaccines hope, of course, that their products will work. This time around, however, even the developers themselves were surprised to see just how effective their products have … Continue reading
Here’s the CDC’s recommendation regarding swine flu vaccination, as reported in the Washington Post: The first swine flu precaution that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests for parents: As soon as a vaccine is available, try to get … Continue reading
Republicans are fast-moving into President Barack Obama’s rearview mirror: